Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#52514 by superboiler
Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:56 pm
Installed hub and scout and ported number. Cable service with Motorola SB5100 modem (few years old). Installed hub before router (as recommended) and outgoing call quality is good but folks on the other end indicate it is very bad and I have confirmed this. I have not set the OOMA setup for upstream yet.

Call quality is worst at night.
Average jitter is 76.2 ms but sometimes it is higher
Upload speed is 775kbps
Download came in low at 378 kbps (should be up to 5M) at night

Is this an ISP issue? I know service goes down at night because of traffic but this still seems bad. I wonder if the cable modem might be the issue with the poor jitter. I hesitate to call my cable ISP as the solution is always to drop another cable across the yard - they have done this two times already. Prior to this we had phone service through the cable internet (different modem for phone) and it was always great.

Any help or advice?
#52515 by superboiler
Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:10 pm
VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 125.9 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.5 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.4 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.4 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.3

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 795008 bps
Upload speed: 995808 bps
Download quality of service: 41 %
Upload quality of service: 73 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 605 ms
Average download pause: 26 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 107 ms
Average round trip time to server: 281 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 23200000bps
Route concurrency: 29.182096
Download TCP forced idle: 92 %
Maximum route speed: 4899808bps
#52520 by tommies
Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:06 pm
Your modem is few years old. I'd suggest that you get a new modem first. Some had posted that the problem will go away after install a newer modem over an older one (just like yours, few years old.)

I recently switched from ATT DSL to Comcast cable, the connect is slower in the evening but still plenty (I have at least 10Mb down / 2Mb up during peak hour, and at off peak, it's > 16Mb down and 6Mb up.)
#52531 by murphy
Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:52 am
superboiler wrote:VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 125.9 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.5 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.4 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.4 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.3

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 795008 bps
Upload speed: 995808 bps
Download quality of service: 41 %
Upload quality of service: 73 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 605 ms
Average download pause: 26 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 107 ms
Average round trip time to server: 281 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 23200000bps
Route concurrency: 29.182096
Download TCP forced idle: 92 %
Maximum route speed: 4899808bps

Those are horrible numbers. If you are renting your cable modem, take it in and request a new one. That is the one advantage of renting. You get a new one just by asking.

Connect to the following URL

http://192.168.100.1

and get the downstream signal level and SNR and upstream signal level.

How many splits are between the incoming cable and the cable modem and are they bidirectional splitters?
#52534 by superboiler
Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:10 am
I believe the cable company has one (for cable tv) or maybe two (from previous phone service) splitters. Not sure on the type.

From cable modem

Downstream Value
Frequency 735000000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 39 dB
Power Level 5 dBmV
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading
Upstream Value
Channel ID 1
Frequency 31200000 Hz Ranged
Power Level 45 dBmV
#52535 by murphy
Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:36 am
Those are good signal levels. My next step would be to replace the cable modem. There should be zero packet loss. The jitter should not exceed 5 ms. The TCP delay should be under 100 ms. The QOS should be 70% or better.

Have you tried running the test with a computer connected directly to the cable modem? If it's still bad in that configuration it points at the cable modem or the ISP itself.
#52658 by superboiler
Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:01 am
Okay...I....

Checked for splitters and changed a couple of things. The main cable line is split outside to two two lines...one for TV and one for Ooma. The line for Ooma goes right to the cable modem.

I also got a new cable modem from the cable company - Charter.

All of this and it's about the same. I will post later today. The signal is better during the day but goes downhill at night. I have service that should be up to 8M download and 1M upload. I can get 1M upload but only about 4M download at the best but this is about 1-2M at night.

Before I had the cable phone service and it was good. Why can't Ooma reach what I had with the cable service which runs off the internet?

I am tempted to call the cable company but in the past their solution has been to drop a new line.

Other option is to dump cable and get UVerse DSL.
#52825 by danshiki
Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:15 am
That is why I am sticking with my $19 per month At&t Basic Dry Loop DSL Service. It works just fine . My connection are :
Incoming: 768 kbps
Outgoing: 384 kbps
I have good voice quality even while surfing the internet. Try connecting your Hub behind the modem. You may also have to go into your modem and change a few settings as I have read somewhere that cable modems are notorious for resetting itself all the time.

If push come to shove just sign up for Basic Dry Loop DSL Service and use it solely for your Ooma, as I did. The good thing about DSL is that there is hardly any outage as is often the case with Cable during storms. I have Ooma Hub and Scout Core Service. I have been using this since December, 2008.
#52832 by Davesworld
Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:00 am
danshiki wrote:That is why I am sticking with my $19 per month At&t Basic Dry Loop DSL Service. It works just fine . My connection are :
Incoming: 768 kbps
Outgoing: 384 kbps
I have good voice quality even while surfing the internet. Try connecting your Hub behind the modem. You may also have to go into your modem and change a few settings as I have read somewhere that cable modems are notorious for resetting itself all the time.

If push come to shove just sign up for Basic Dry Loop DSL Service and use it solely for your Ooma, as I did. The good thing about DSL is that there is hardly any outage as is often the case with Cable during storms. I have Ooma Hub and Scout Core Service. I have been using this since December, 2008.

This is actually plenty to hold a few simultaneous phone calls.

As far as connecting the hub behind the modem, I wouldn't want ALL my traffic going through an ATA on a faster connection.