Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#52247 by Kevin1844
Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:41 am
I recently sold my small business and one stipulation was that I would keep the phone number and forward it to the new owner for one year.
So I went on myooma and set up forward-all-calls.

Well, for some reason the calls would never forward. I couldn't figure out why. Ooma support couldn't figure out why. I got to level 2 support and they couldn't figure out why.

6 weeks of arguing later and I finally come across a support agent that figured it out.

Don't let this happen to you:
If you forward a number to a phone line that uses a voicemail service (like Verizon voicemail) the nature of call forwarding and TelCo service is such that you can only forward a call ONCE.
What was happening was that Ooma would forward my number to his. Then, after 4 rings and nobody picking up, his line would try to forward the number to Verizon voicemail. POTS service does not allow the second forward so it kicks it back to the originator- in this case ooma- who then sends it to the ooma voicemail.

If the guy had an answering machine set up instead of an off-site voicemail system it would work, but as it is, it just rings on his end 4 times, if nobody physically picks up the phone it goes to ooma voicemail.

6 weeks it took for someone to figure this out. Thought you might want to know so it doesn't take YOU 6 weeks to figure out.
#53287 by murphy
Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:25 am
Soundjudgment wrote:It takes me six weeks just to remember how to properly lick a postage-stamp.

Modern postage stamps come with self-stick glue, no licking required. :D :D :D
#53321 by southsound
Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:04 pm
murphy wrote:
Soundjudgment wrote:It takes me six weeks just to remember how to properly lick a postage-stamp.

Modern postage stamps come with self-stick glue, no licking required. :D :D :D

That's why it took him six weeks to perfect it. Anyone can lick one of the old style dried glue stamps. Licking one of the self-stick ones can present a real challenge if you don't have the proper technique. Good job Soundjudgement! :P
#53327 by lbmofo
Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:58 pm
I think it is just how ooma forward works. "A forwarded call that is not answered or accepted will roll into your Ooma voicemail." To answer forwarded calls, you need to press "1" to accept unless forwarded on internet outage.

Call Forwarding

Your Ooma system can be setup to forward calls to any US phone number. You may select to:

Call Forward on Internet Outage: Forward calls only when your Ooma system is offline due to a local Internet outage.

Call Forward All: Forward all calls. Your home phones will not ring.

Multi-Ring: Incoming calls will ring your home phone AND be forwarded to the number configured. Answer the call on either phone.

When answering forwarded calls, you'll be required to press "1" before accepting a call. Note: If you have Call Forward on Internet Outage selected, you will never hear a prompt before answering the call. A forwarded call that is not answered or accepted will roll into your Ooma voicemail.

For best results, we recommend configuring a voicemail pickup time of at least 24 seconds (default). If you configure your voicemail pickup time to be less than 24 seconds, Ooma's voicemail may answer the call before you can answer the forwarded call. To adjust your voicemail settings, go to voicemail preference page.
#53362 by feartheturtle
Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:44 am
Am I missing something, or could the OP have set up the Hub/Telo to forward to the desired number on loss of internet, and then simply turned off the power to the device?

Would that method of forwarding have allowed the call to be forwarded once more by the second number?