Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#51068 by klcoll
Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:52 pm
I've had Ooma for about a month now. Everything was peachy until my number was ported a week ago today. At that point, my voicemail stopped working. When I try to access it from my Ooma-attached phone, I'm prompted to enter my phone number, then my PIN. My PIN is rejected, telling me it's incorrect. Well, it is - or at least WAS, with the temporary number, correct. If I try to call from the outside, i.e. like a normal caller calling me, I get the same prompt - and as such, my callers aren't able to leave voicemail. I've already missed one important message due to this.

If instead of my "new", ported number, I enter my old, temporary number - and the original PIN - then I'm allowed into my voicemail. So, somehow my voicemail was left tied to the old number and not brought forward to the new one. When I first called support, I was told that this was "probably" due to the porting not being complete, and if it wasn't working by last Saturday, to call again and have a ticket opened. Saturday I called again, waited about 10 minutes to be connected to a rep, had to explain the problem about a half-dozen different ways to even get the person on the other end to understand, and finally a ticket was opened. This was after a first attempt, that after a 10-minute wait, the call was started, I was put on hold for about 5 minutes, then hung up on. What a waste of time.

I've now been on the phone 4 separate times with Ooma support people, who seem to be subcontracted from the Philippines. Everyone has been super-courteous (other than the one who hung up on me, though that may have been accidental). But their training seems to end there. They don't listen to my explanation of the problem, repeating back something that's totally different than what I'm explaining, then walk me through all the reboot the Ooma/reboot the cable modem BS, which has already been done a dozen times. Then they give up, and this whole process has taken 20 minutes or more. Finally a ticket was created after the 3rd call. I got a call back yesterday, but that guy was clueless too and said that the issue would be worked on today (Monday), but I heard from no one and the problem persists.

This CAN'T be that complicated to resolve from their end. I'm hoping an Ooma tech in the states is reading this and will jump in and assist. The ticket number is CS37809. Can someone please help?

Thank you!
#51072 by Groundhound
Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:33 pm
klcoll wrote:When I try to access it from my Ooma-attached phone, I'm prompted to enter my phone number, then my PIN. My PIN is rejected, telling me it's incorrect. Well, it is - or at least WAS, with the temporary number, correct. If I try to call from the outside, i.e. like a normal caller calling me, I get the same prompt - and as such, my callers aren't able to leave voicemail. I've already missed one important message due to this.

When you try to access VM from your Ooma-attached phone, are you dialing your number to do so? If so, try instead picking up that phone and then pressing the play button on your Ooma - hopefully you'll get prompts to setup your VM.
#51113 by klcoll
Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:26 am
I've done that - a dozen times. Everybody keeps suggesting going through "initial" setup of voicemail. Impossible, it won't let me past the PIN prompt, won't accept anything I try as my PIN.
#51117 by coldsteel
Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:59 am
Try calling customer support again. I think this is something that they have to either rectify or pass along to OOMA tech support to fix. I had an almost identical problem when my number was ported. Customer Support ended up deleting and recreating my vm account if I remember correctly. I also had a similar problem when I activated my scout (after the number was ported I used the original OOMA provided number for the scout) and a similar response from Customer Support although if I remember correctly the ID number printed on my scout (that you need to register) was INCORRECT and customer support fixed the problems and gave me the correct ID number. So far all of my calls to customer support have been handled very well (and yes they all seem to be in the Philippines) although there have been some long wait times on the phone to get through.
#51272 by klcoll
Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:08 pm
Thanks, Coldsteel. This was what I have been assuming needs to be done - delete my voicemail and let it prompt me to set it up again like a newly-activated customer. Nobody overseas has ANY clue how to proceed, once I get them to understand the problem. It's as though they're completely undertrained Level 1 "support", whose role is really nothing more than to make sure the caller isn't making some bonehead error in setup or use (which I'm sure accounts for a ton of the calls), but if you have a legit problem, you're 20-30 minutes into it before they realize it's over their head. But I would hope that once a ticket is created, that some "real" techie stateside would jump in and resolve the problem, especially a simple one like this. It's now Wednesday night and the problem is still not corrected. These guys can't provide poor support like this and ever expect this company to grow and survive.

I'll keep y'all posted on how this (hopefully) gets resolved and when.. stay tuned.
#51392 by coldsteel
Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:09 am
klcoll wrote:But I would hope that once a ticket is created, that some "real" techie stateside would jump in and resolve the problem, especially a simple one like this. It's now Wednesday night and the problem is still not corrected. These guys can't provide poor support like this and ever expect this company to grow and survive.

Totally agree with you there - if they created a ticket to go to 2nd level support then this should have been handled correctly. As I stated before your problem sounds just like the one that I had only in my case the support folks identified the problem, told me what they would do to fix it (and that it might take an hour or two), called me back to tell me when it was fixed (maybe an hour) and then (while I was still on my cell-phone with them) called my OOMA numbers and left voice mails for me (and them) to hear when I picked up to verify that the service was working - plus they apologized (maybe too much) for the delay in problem resolution. It almost sounds like we are talking to two different companies for support based on my experience and yours (of course I haven't had to call support in months so maybe OOMA made vendor changes).

Also, just to eliminate it as a problem you should have support verify that the ID number printed on your hub (and scout) are really the correct numbers as you can register with what is printed on the device but your voicemail won't work as it won't match the real id number that the box sends (from memory I think this was the MAC ID) - this was my scout problem as I also mentioned before.
#51455 by klcoll
Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:10 pm
Update:

I contacted support forum moderator Norm via his profile. He emailed me back the following morning. Thanks Norm! At the same time I got another email from another Ooma rep, apparently finally responding to the trouble ticket. One of them or the other reported that the issue had been fixed, that multiple test calls placed by Ooma had confirmed this, and to give it a try and report back if I still had a problem.

First test was to try calling home from the office, and see if voicemail would pick up and allow me to leave a message. Nope, same problem - prompted to enter area code + phone, then PIN, then PIN gets rejected. Went home, same story from the hub-connected phone. Unplugged and rebooted everything, no change. So I emailed Norm and the other person and gave them the bad news. That was 2-3 days ago. No reply or additional help since. I'm going on 2 weeks without voicemail now, for what should be a relatively simple (or so I'm thinking) fix. Since it's the weekend, I ASSume that Ooma HQ techs are off for the weekend, so I'm looking at at LEAST Monday before this could possibly get further attention. What's really sad is that everything is working absolutely peachy otherwise. Calls are POTS-quality, no issues with my router, internet connection, or PC ethernet performance. But the wasted time and frustration with this issue have me wanting to dump the silly thing.

If anyone has an email address for any of the Ooma bigwigs, please do share. I could call and try to reach them by phone, but I don't want to go through the frustration.
#52027 by klcoll
Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:24 pm
This is finally resolved. No voicemail since March 15th until today. What an incredibly frustrating experience.

Today, suddenly, my voicemail works as it should. I got an email yesterday saying that the issue was being escalated to an engineer. Apparently that did the trick. But why did it take 2 weeks, 4 phone calls to support, a couple of return calls from support, and numerous emails in both directions? Unacceptable. And Ooma won't survive if this is even remotely typical.
#52129 by coldsteel
Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:44 pm
I'm glad it finally worked for you - sounds like the OOMA techs need to update their internal knowledge database/procedures to ensure consistency. I think whenever the first OOMA tech said it was done they should have contacted you, AND HAVE YOU DO A HARD RESET ON YOUR OOMA (which might have been why you didnt see it working on your end when they said it was working from their end) and then they could walk you through the voicemail pickup.
#52221 by klcoll
Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:15 pm
Nobody ever suggested a hard reset, and I didn't know what it was/how to do it until Googling it just now. I wonder if it would have worked? I certainly would have tried it if anyone had suggested it. Oh well. I hope they can get their support act together, or it will be the death of the company, and that would be bad for all of us.