Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#50738 by eric
Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:33 am
I've had my Ooma since Nov. I love it. Well mostly because there is no bill, and I hardly ever use a Home phone. I have not really needed my WIFI at home until I got a laptop recently. I've noticed that if someone is actually using the phone (which is rare) that my WIFI stops working. My wired internet works fine, but WIFI dies. I'm assuming it's a router problem? But I wanted to ask.

My Ooma is plugged into one of the 4 ports in the back of my router, as I wasn't able to get it to work between the modem and router.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you
#50743 by southsound
Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:59 am
My guess is that your phone is a 2.4ghz or 5.8ghz cordless. If so, what is happening is that the phone is overpowering the WiFi signal which is causing your notebook to loose connectivity. I had to go with a wired connection on my laptop because one of my favorite phones (except for the interference factor) is a Plantronics CT-12 2.4ghz model that can kill WiFi a block away! Best phones to use when you have WiFi are the new DECT 6.0 models. I prefer either Uniden or Panasonic. Right now, Staples has a 5-handset Uniden for $80 after MIR. I have two of the systems and love them.

edit: Sorry Groundhound for the redundant answer. I type pretty slowly in the AM before my 3rd cup of coffee. :P
#50749 by eric
Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:06 am
Thanks guys...I should have thought of that. I will check it versus the hard wired phone and confirm. I've been meaning to get a new phone, but seriously we barely use our house phone. Maybe 10-15 minutes per month.

Thanks again...I'll follow up with my results
#50833 by eric
Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:07 am
So I tested it once today, but not really on purpose. It seemed to be fine with a corded phone. I'll do some actual testing (assuming I remember) this weekend. I'm guessing you guys were right on. I may look into a 2.4 cordless, but I rarely use the phone, so it's hard to even spend the $30-50 bucks on a phone package (on the cheap side)

It killed me to buy the Ooma, but it sure beats paying $27 a month for my old home phone service!

Thanks again!
#50834 by Groundhound
Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:18 am
eric wrote:I may look into a 2.4 cordless, but I rarely use the phone, so it's hard to even spend the $30-50 bucks on a phone package (on the cheap side)

Actually, the 2.4 GHz phones are the ones to avoid, look at the DECT 6.0 phones instead.