Another ? about using 2 lines from non-Telo handset

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
njmurvin

Another ? about using 2 lines from non-Telo handset

Post by njmurvin » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:08 pm

I'm new to Ooma Telo. Love it so far.

Currently, while waiting for my home phone number to port, I have a simple corded phone connected to the Ooma phone port to play around with. I can see how to switch from line 1 to 2 and back by "flashing". I will be connecting a Uniden cordless unit with 6 handsets to the Ooma. My question is, if a call is active on line 1 and I want to initiate a call on line 2, can I still "flash" to get to line 2 or will this functionality require the Telo handset?

murphy

Re: Another ? about using 2 lines from non-Telo handset

Post by murphy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:17 pm

It requires the Telo handset.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

njmurvin

Post by njmurvin » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:13 pm

That sucks. OK, realistically, I have only 2-3 handsets that would ever need access to the second line. Can I combine my existing Uniden (on the phone port) with 2-3 Telo handsets?

southsound

Post by southsound » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:35 pm

njmurvin wrote: Can I combine my existing Uniden (on the phone port) with 2-3 Telo handsets?
Yes! That is exactly what I do. And not more than 20 minutes ago my wife was on one of our Uniden handsets (ours only came with 5 handsets so I bought two sets of them - one for our landline, one for our Telo). I was expecting a fax on the landline and another call - but no problem. The call came in on my Telo handset just fine. I only have two of the Telo handsets but love the flexibility they give me. You will be very happy adding them to your system. Just as a reminder, you need to have Premier to have more than one conversation on the Telo. But the extra features are great! You get an additional number, enhanced voicemail, and more.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

njmurvin

Post by njmurvin » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:45 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I was aware of the need for Premier for 2 lines. I am a little disappointed that you can't click over to the second line while a conversation is active on the first line - the same as you can from a dial tone. It's ironic that the only time you can get to the second line from a non-Telo phone is when the first line is open - when you don't really NEED the second line.

Is it just me, or did Ooma take a giant step backward in not providing a dial tone for the second line (as with the hub/scout)? Is this a ploy to get you to buy another Oooma Telo?

murphy

Post by murphy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:25 pm

njmurvin wrote:Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I was aware of the need for Premier for 2 lines. I am a little disappointed that you can't click over to the second line while a conversation is active on the first line - the same as you can from a dial tone. It's ironic that the only time you can get to the second line from a non-Telo phone is when the first line is open - when you don't really NEED the second line.

Is it just me, or did Ooma take a giant step backward in not providing a dial tone for the second line (as with the hub/scout)? Is this a ploy to get you to buy another Oooma Telo?
You can get a dial tone for the second line if you have an Ooma handset.

njmurvin

Post by njmurvin » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:31 am

Understood. I mean a real dial tone that can be fed into line2 of a two line phone.

murphy

Post by murphy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:38 am

njmurvin wrote:
Understood. I mean a real dial tone that can be fed into line 2 of a two line phone.
It's not possible with a Telo.
It works with a hub using a Scout for the second line.

PetalumaRealtor

Post by PetalumaRealtor » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:09 pm

Another way to hook a a two-line cordless phone system is to hook your landline to Line 1 on the phone system. Hook your telo to line 2 of the phone system. Order "Busy call forwarding" with the telephone co on line 1 to ring to your telo number on line 2. You just have to remember to make long distance calls from line 2 so you will not be charged for the call.

njmurvin

Post by njmurvin » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:05 pm

Thanks. But, the objective is to get rid of the land line (bill). I will have a "DSL only" environment once my phone number port is complete. With premier, there are two lines available - just no way to use both at once without the Telo handset or the older hub/scout. I now understand these limitations. I was just pointing out that, in this 2 dial tone regard, the Telo is a step backward from the hub/scout concept. I realize I could return the Telo and get the hub/scout. But, the Telo appears to be the future. So, I'll have to purchase a couple of Telo handsets for the phones that are likely to need 2 lines. Maybe Ooma can make the jack in the Telo a 2-line jack or offer an add-on box that plugs into the USB port to provide a second dial tone at the box for premier customers. For now, I'm sure they would much prefer to sell us handsets.