Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#50000 by njmurvin
Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:08 pm
I'm new to Ooma Telo. Love it so far.

Currently, while waiting for my home phone number to port, I have a simple corded phone connected to the Ooma phone port to play around with. I can see how to switch from line 1 to 2 and back by "flashing". I will be connecting a Uniden cordless unit with 6 handsets to the Ooma. My question is, if a call is active on line 1 and I want to initiate a call on line 2, can I still "flash" to get to line 2 or will this functionality require the Telo handset?
#50011 by southsound
Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:35 pm
njmurvin wrote: Can I combine my existing Uniden (on the phone port) with 2-3 Telo handsets?

Yes! That is exactly what I do. And not more than 20 minutes ago my wife was on one of our Uniden handsets (ours only came with 5 handsets so I bought two sets of them - one for our landline, one for our Telo). I was expecting a fax on the landline and another call - but no problem. The call came in on my Telo handset just fine. I only have two of the Telo handsets but love the flexibility they give me. You will be very happy adding them to your system. Just as a reminder, you need to have Premier to have more than one conversation on the Telo. But the extra features are great! You get an additional number, enhanced voicemail, and more.
#50013 by njmurvin
Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:45 pm
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I was aware of the need for Premier for 2 lines. I am a little disappointed that you can't click over to the second line while a conversation is active on the first line - the same as you can from a dial tone. It's ironic that the only time you can get to the second line from a non-Telo phone is when the first line is open - when you don't really NEED the second line.

Is it just me, or did Ooma take a giant step backward in not providing a dial tone for the second line (as with the hub/scout)? Is this a ploy to get you to buy another Oooma Telo?
#50021 by murphy
Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:25 pm
njmurvin wrote:Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I was aware of the need for Premier for 2 lines. I am a little disappointed that you can't click over to the second line while a conversation is active on the first line - the same as you can from a dial tone. It's ironic that the only time you can get to the second line from a non-Telo phone is when the first line is open - when you don't really NEED the second line.

Is it just me, or did Ooma take a giant step backward in not providing a dial tone for the second line (as with the hub/scout)? Is this a ploy to get you to buy another Oooma Telo?

You can get a dial tone for the second line if you have an Ooma handset.
#50089 by murphy
Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:38 am
njmurvin wrote:
You can get a dial tone for the second line if you have an Ooma handset.

Understood. I mean a real dial tone that can be fed into line 2 of a two line phone.

It's not possible with a Telo.
It works with a hub using a Scout for the second line.
#50108 by PetalumaRealtor
Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:09 pm
Another way to hook a a two-line cordless phone system is to hook your landline to Line 1 on the phone system. Hook your telo to line 2 of the phone system. Order "Busy call forwarding" with the telephone co on line 1 to ring to your telo number on line 2. You just have to remember to make long distance calls from line 2 so you will not be charged for the call.
#50113 by njmurvin
Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:05 pm
Thanks. But, the objective is to get rid of the land line (bill). I will have a "DSL only" environment once my phone number port is complete. With premier, there are two lines available - just no way to use both at once without the Telo handset or the older hub/scout. I now understand these limitations. I was just pointing out that, in this 2 dial tone regard, the Telo is a step backward from the hub/scout concept. I realize I could return the Telo and get the hub/scout. But, the Telo appears to be the future. So, I'll have to purchase a couple of Telo handsets for the phones that are likely to need 2 lines. Maybe Ooma can make the jack in the Telo a 2-line jack or offer an add-on box that plugs into the USB port to provide a second dial tone at the box for premier customers. For now, I'm sure they would much prefer to sell us handsets.