Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#2678 by tcholmes
Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:58 am
I have a Uniden 5.8 GHz two line phone. It has a voicemail indicator light on it that worked well with AT&T. When I had a voicemail message, the dialtone was changed to a stutter tone. The phone then sensed this and turned on the light. After the message was read, the dialtone went back to normal, and the light went out.

Now, after porting my number to ooma, when I get a voicemail, the light comes on, but won't go off unless I reset it on the phone's base station. Every once in a while it will go off after I check the message on the ooma hub. It seems to work when I just miss the call and then check and delete the message.

The phone can look for a stutter tone or FSK to signal a waiting message. Neither one works right with ooma. What does ooma use to indicate a message? Is there any way to get this to work properly?
#2679 by kagy
Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:04 am
Ooma's dial tone is proprietary, and I doubt you'll get that stutter tone to work. As far as indication of voice mail - only the blinking light on the Ooma hub.
#2680 by tcholmes
Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:16 am
If there really is no way to make it work with either FSK or stutter tone, I am surprised that ooma didn't think of this during the design phase. It seems like they would want to find some type of compatibility with existing hardware.

Aren't they developing their own phone? Maybe this is one of the reasons why.

I hope that there is a way to resolve this other than buying a new ooma phone. It would be kind of annoying to have to either be constantly seeing the flashing light, or resetting the phone to get rid of it.
#2681 by murphy
Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:38 am
I have a Nortel 9417CW two line deskphone connected to ooma. There is no stutter dial tone but it's message waiting light flashes when I have a voicemail message waiting so they use some other method to convey the information to the phone. When I listen to the voicemail, either by pushing the button on the ooma hub or calling in, the light stops blinking.
#2690 by scots
Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:37 pm
I have a Panasonic cordless phone system which has a flashing voicemail indicator light on it. Not sure how ooma signals to the phone that there's a voicemail waiting, but it works perfectly fine with my Panasonic.
#3311 by ram104
Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:51 am
I too have a Panasonic 6.0 cordless phone and the display and indicator will let me know that there is a voice mail.
#3325 by lsmk
Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:51 pm
I have Uniden Tru9466(2-line) phone and it works fine with voicemails. I think the blinking stops only after deleting the voice messages. Let me watch next time.