Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#45604 by franklfr
Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:10 am
I just got the Ooma Telo and love it. However, I'd like to keep a low-cost (metered) landline as a backup and for 911 calls, if needed. That said, I have some questions as to how Ooma works with a landline. I have a regular cordless phone plugged into the Telo plus a separate Telo handset.

1) Since my landline is metered, I want to be sure NO calls use the landline unless there is an Internet outage or there's a 911 call. How can I be certain calls aren't using the landline? For example, right now when I place a call using the Telo handset and then pick up my Ooma-connected cordless phone I can also make a phone call (both have the Ooma dialtone). Is that just my free Premier service kicking in for now?

2) What are the rules Ooma uses for routing to the landline and can I adjust them? Is there documentation anywhere?

Thanks!
#45606 by Groundhound
Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:16 am
franklfr wrote:I just got the Ooma Telo and love it. However, I'd like to keep a low-cost (metered) landline as a backup and for 911 calls, if needed. That said, I have some questions as to how Ooma works with a landline. I have a regular cordless phone plugged into the Telo plus a separate Telo handset.

1) Since my landline is metered, I want to be sure NO calls use the landline unless there is an Internet outage or there's a 911 call. How can I be certain calls aren't using the landline? For example, right now when I place a call using the Telo handset and then pick up my Ooma-connected cordless phone I can also make a phone call (both have the Ooma dialtone). Is that just my free Premier service kicking in for now?

2) What are the rules Ooma uses for routing to the landline and can I adjust them? Is there documentation anywhere?

Thanks!

Best to keep your landline separate with its own phone (or move a phone to its jack when needed), instead of integration with Ooma. IIRC Ooma will use your integrated landline for local outbound calls, which is not what you want.
#45607 by southsound
Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:26 am
franklfr wrote:I just got the Ooma Telo and love it. However, I'd like to keep a low-cost (metered) landline as a backup and for 911 calls, if needed. That said, I have some questions as to how Ooma works with a landline. I have a regular cordless phone plugged into the Telo plus a separate Telo handset.
If you have integrated your landline (in other words, if you use your old number for inbound calls) then you will get a very nasty surprise when you get your bill. The configuration you have with a cordless phone plugged into the Telo will work great with the additional Telo handset. I have a multi-handset cordless phone (Uniden DECT 6.0) that works great in this configuration.

Simple routing if you have a landline integrated: All outgoing local calls plus 911 goes through the landline. Long distance goes through ooma. All incoming calls go through landline. Metered service = OUCH!!!

The second phone call (what ooma calls the instant second line) is because you are in your ooma Premier trial period. It will go away once the trial period expires unless you stay with Premier.

See answer above. No, they cannot be adjusted, so no documentation. See my suggestion below.

Thanks!

In my mind, there is almost no value in integrating the landline. My suggestion is to call ooma at 888 711-6662 and have them issue a new ooma number and remove the landline integration. Then disconnect the cable that runs from the wall to the wall port on the ooma. Instead, plug in a regular corded phone. This is your backup phone in case of power failure or emergency if you don't want to use ooma's E911 service. Many have verified that the E911 service works great, so I'm comfortable with that knowledge. Keep your cordless phones and Telo as they are. Now - what to do about your existing phone number - if you don't mind changing to a new number, then leave things as they are. If you want to keep your existing number, you have two choices. You can forward your metered landline to the new ooma number. Check with your telco, but forwarded calls usually do not count against your metered rate with a landline. With a cell phone, they do. The other option is to port your existing landline. Since this will discontinue your service, add in a basic extra line first so you can keep a landline. You didn't mention how you get your Internet. If DSL, then you need to have the telco "attach" your DSL to that new basic number. If you have an alarm system, also have them swap the two numbers so your alarm will still work once the main number is ported away. Porting disconnects the number you are porting.

And very important, Welcome to ooma! We're glad you are here. Feel free to reply if you have any questions I have not covered.
#45681 by Kurt
Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:27 pm
Like franklfr I'm a little unclear as well on the landline thing. I just started with Ooma yesterday and also plugged in my landline. From what I can tell is that every outgoing call is going through the Ooma. Look at the call logs, even calls down the road are logged. Another thing, the Ooma dial tone, that musical start. For a test I unplugged the internet modem, the Ooma started flashing red, and the dial tone switched to the legacy land line tone. I suspect calls made then would go that route.
#45684 by southsound
Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:11 pm
Kurt wrote:Like franklfr I'm a little unclear as well on the landline thing. I just started with Ooma yesterday and also plugged in my landline. From what I can tell is that every outgoing call is going through the Ooma. Look at the call logs, even calls down the road are logged. Another thing, the Ooma dial tone, that musical start. For a test I unplugged the internet modem, the Ooma started flashing red, and the dial tone switched to the legacy land line tone. I suspect calls made then would go that route.

One of the great things about this forum is that when a person asks a question, those with knowledge of the answer respond. If you are a little unclear on the landline thing, maybe you would have a clearer understanding by reading the information in RED where I expained ooma's routing with an integrated landline to the OP of this thread: Simple routing if you have a landline integrated: All outgoing local calls plus 911 goes through the landline. Long distance goes through ooma. All incoming calls go through landline.

On reading your post again, I have to ask - did you actually have ooma integrate the landline or did you just plug in the cable? Did ooma give you a new number? These are extremely important questions to know what is going on in your system.

I never recommend using the integrated landline configuration. I've had my hub/scout for a year now and my Telo since August. If I can help make things more clear, please let me know where the misunderatanding lies and I'll do my best.
#45687 by franklfr
Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:28 pm
Best to keep your landline separate with its own phone (or move a phone to its jack when needed), instead of integration with Ooma. IIRC Ooma will use your integrated landline for local outbound calls, which is not what you want.

I'd like to have the landline for a failover, so if the Internet goes down, it automatically routes to the landline. I don't want my wife or kids having to find another phone to use. I confirmed with customer service that Ooma should only dial out on the landline if the Internet is down or 911 is dialed (although the CS rep wasn't the most knowledgeable).

That said, I tried unplugging the Internet, and after 5 minutes or so the Ooma was blinking red. However, when I picked up either the Telo handset or my Ooma-attached phone, there was no dial-tone or ability to dial out from either one. So, I'm not sure what's going on.

It's frustrating that there's no advanced mode on the Telo to understand exactly how the routing rules are applied or the current setting. Makes me nervous that this thing will work correctly unless I constantly test it.
#45688 by southsound
Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:46 pm
franklfr wrote: I confirmed with customer service that Ooma should only dial out on the landline if the Internet is down or 911 is dialed (although the CS rep wasn't the most knowledgeable).

If the CS rep was talking about a system with an integrated landline, he/she wasn't just unknowledgeable, but WRONG.

Now I know why Pandora sometimes writes in a large font.
#45717 by amoney
Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:12 am
Its all or nothing (inegrated or not), if you want a landline as a backup but dont want it used regularly, you need to have a stand alone landline.

Think of it this way, landline integration is only to augment landline service, giving you free long distance calling.
#45751 by franklfr
Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:22 am
I was told that if I hear the Ooma dialtone it's routing calls over Ooma VOIP and not the POTS landline. Is that wrong?

If that's the case and I have a landline plugged in and always hear the Ooma dialtone, I'm assuming it's not using the POTS line (unless a failover case is needed).

I really wish there was concrete documentation or info somewhere for the Telo that would clear this up.
#45822 by southsound
Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:26 pm
franklfr wrote:I was told that if I hear the Ooma dialtone it's routing calls over Ooma VOIP and not the POTS landline. Is that wrong?
Partially. If you hear the ooma dialtone, that means your ooma system is connected and performing as it should. The tone that will tell you how the call is being routed is the connection tone. If you have the connection tone enabled, it will play a little musical tone after the number is dialed - just as the call connects.
If that's the case and I have a landline plugged in and always hear the Ooma dialtone, I'm assuming it's not using the POTS line (unless a failover case is needed).
Bad assumption. See my answer above.
I really wish there was concrete documentation or info somewhere for the Telo that would clear this up.

This amazes me. You ask questions on a user forum. Several of the top posters answer your question. They basically give you the same answer - one you don't want to hear. You keep asking it in different ways - possibly until you get the answer you like - even if it is wrong?

Should I be typing in a larger font?