Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#44722 by amoney
Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:41 am
jamie985 wrote:Murphy it did it again, so it must be the power. I"ve plugged it into a different outlet (but no doubt on the same breaker). We'll see how that goes. Great suggestion.
This points out that perhaps they need better surge control on the ooma power adapter perhaps as no other items get screwed up (i.e. the modem. computer, etc).

Your best bet if its a power interruption issue, is to use a UPS. There are also ones with voltage regulators (AVR) that compensates, but those creep up in price. Alternately you can get a power conditioner, but still then you get more bang for your buck with a UPS.

Are you currently using a surge protector?

Electronic devices dont have built in surge traps, they may have better, resistant components for more tolerance, but even then they are still suceptible.
#44730 by jamie985
Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:14 pm
Amoney; thanks for the feedback. The OOMA was coming througha surge protected strip (as were all of my other items computer, modem, router, etc). Only the OOMA is affected. I'll wait for a few more days with no issues until I'm confident in saying it is the OOMA power transformer.

Having said that, I won't buy a ups just for OOMA. If it is the power adapter, then it points to a defective design or unit; I have also been having problems with the power cord slipping out of the unit. A customer should not have to buy a UPS for an item is other electronic items don't have that issue (computer, modem, phone, router).
#44738 by amoney
Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:07 pm
jamie985 wrote:Amoney; thanks for the feedback. The OOMA was coming througha surge protected strip (as were all of my other items computer, modem, router, etc). Only the OOMA is affected. I'll wait for a few more days with no issues until I'm confident in saying it is the OOMA power transformer.

Having said that, I won't buy a ups just for OOMA. If it is the power adapter, then it points to a defective design or unit; I have also been having problems with the power cord slipping out of the unit. A customer should not have to buy a UPS for an item is other electronic items don't have that issue (computer, modem, phone, router).

Just a note, there can be other electrical issues, just because your other devices dont show symptoms does not mean they are not getting stressed. Note that its your laser printer that is causing the voltage irregularity. My point is that its going to be a difficult argument that its a Ooma problem. Especially if for example someone else with the same setup may not have a power problem, and that their household voltage/line is just better to feed the laser printer. I have seen many electrical outlet that has "issues", bad wiring, insufficient power on the breaker, thare can be a miriad of thing.

Please understand I am not trying to argue against your point, its just one of those things that is not clear cut evidence.

As far as the Ooma power adapter, yes that is a known issue, Ooma has even addressed it (there is a post), you can request a replacement, but before you get to excited, the replacement I received was virtually identical. Your best bet there is to get a 3M command clip to hold the power adapter from falling out. But perhaps a new power adapter may cure your electrical issues, worth a shot...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4597

Here is some feed back (unfortunately I had no improvement, I just delt with it)...

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3369

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5814
#44801 by jamie985
Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:44 am
So it definitely is the power issue with my laser all in one; it did it again even with my printer hooked up to a different electrical outlet in the wall. It probably is on the same breaker though; I can't run an extension cord all the way across the room to satisfy the OOMA.

I disagree with your argument that it is not the OOMA: NONE, repeat NONE of my other electronics are affected; the modem, router, computer, printer etc are not affected. When an electrical unit is designed, there are filters put into the power lines to prevent this sort of thing (i.e. induction cores around the power cord, etc). Clearly the OOMA power cord needs to be improved.
#44802 by murphy
Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:54 am
You should check out that branch circuit in your house. My laser printer draws 1.5 KW when it comes out of sleep mode. If there are any corroded or loose connections anywhere along the branch circuit, the voltage delivered will drop below the allowed minimum voltage until the printer lowers it's load. Surge protectors do not protect against voltage sag.
#90163 by cchriskaufman
Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:42 pm
Have been up and running for 4 days. This afternoon there was a cable outage of about an hour. After Internet returned, my "do not disturb" is reported as "on" (voice and orange envelope), then about 4 minutes later reported as "off" (voice and blue envelope). This has been on going for the last hour. Also, I must have had a intermiten Internet outage two nights ago, as my wife woke me and said; "that d... new gizmo of yours is talking, go turn it off!"
Only thing I've tried is disconnect phone (the only thing connected to Telo) with no luck. Next will be a power cycle Telo.
If this is going to happen every time there's a brief Internet outage, 1) I find a way to disable "no not disturb" or 2)Telo goes back.

Thanks,
Chris

Power cycle fixed the issue "for now". Will try to reproduce problem this weekend.
Chris
#90170 by thunderbird
Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:36 pm
cchriskaufman wrote:Have been up and running for 4 days. This afternoon there was a cable outage of about an hour. After Internet returned, my "do not disturb" is reported as "on" (voice and orange envelope), then about 4 minutes later reported as "off" (voice and blue envelope). This has been on going for the last hour. Also, I must have had a intermiten Internet outage two nights ago, as my wife woke me and said; "that d... new gizmo of yours is talking, go turn it off!"
Only thing I've tried is disconnect phone (the only thing connected to Telo) with no luck. Next will be a power cycle Telo.
If this is going to happen every time there's a brief Internet outage, 1) I find a way to disable "no not disturb" or 2)Telo goes back.

Thanks,
Chris

Power cycle fixed the issue "for now". Will try to reproduce problem this weekend.
Chris

Chris normally if there is an Internet outage, the Ooma device reconnects itself and that's it. But if you continue to have problems do the following:

First:
Ooma Telo Factory Reset:
Dial *#*#099 on the phone attached to Telo to issue a factory reset.
A recording will come on the line and ask if you really want to do a factory reset. Press 1 for yes, and press 2 or hang up for no. After pressing 1, you will hear a busy signal. After hanging up, the number 1 light stays lit yellow on the face of the Ooma Telo. After a short period of time, only the number 1 & 2 lights remain lit blue. Then after more time, the Ooma Telo goes into the boot sequence, and comes back on line. If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi dongle, you have to access Ooma Setup and rescan for the Wi-Fi network before a Wi-Fi connection can be made. The same is true for DSL, if you have to enter Connection type PPoE and a Name and Password for the Internet provider connection. If you are using a wired LAN Internet connection, you may want to reset MAC address from Automatic, to Use Built In. Also you may want to reset your Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream Internet Speed settings and Bluetooth settings if you are using Ooma’s USB Bluetooth dongle.

Sometimes the *#*#099 command has to be issued three or four times, before the factory reset sequence starts and is completed.

Second:
Power off the Ooma device for 20 minutes. The 20 minutes allows time for the Ooma servers to reload/reset/correct your Ooma profile. Then repower the Ooma device and test.
#90210 by cchriskaufman
Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:15 pm
Thanks Thunderbird.
I did a factory reset successfully. Unit worked fine after Server update.

FYI: I'm hardwired to my Cisco (Linksys) WRT610N Router, and powered by my APC 15kVA UPS (which is loafing along at about 25% load, none of which is a laser printer, etc.)

My wife was again awakened last night to; "Do Not Disturb is ON", is OFF, is ON, is OFF, etc. I had showed here where to find the power plug, and she unplugged and re-plugged the 5v power and went back to bed. This morning it was working fine.

About 4pm this afternoon the message returned; "Do Not Disturb is ON", is OFF, is ON, is OFF, etc.. I've performed the Factory Reset with Server update again. All is again well.

There was some confusion to me in your last evening's instructions.
>Reset MAC address from automatic to "use built in". My router is set to DHCP for IP address, and I know how to permit only identified MAC address to be accepted on the net work, but I'm not familiar to these MAC terms. Also the MAC address showing up in my DHCP Client Table ends in 27, while the Telo address is the same but ends in 26!?
LAN 192.168.1.106 MAC: 00:18:61:09:F6:27
Gottta help he here????

>Lastly, I've got big pipe (5.6 down, and 3.4 up), so if you're talking about giving Telo more bandwidth, I don't think I need it.

Any help you can offer, will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris