Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#43849 by jamie985
Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:38 pm
do any of you have the "do not disturb" activate without any prompting from you on your Telo? You can tell this by having the envelope icon turn from blue to orange. This happens with no input from me about every 3rd day. I can then turn it off, but it is irritating as I don't hear calls when it is activated with no input from me.
#43859 by murphy
Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:58 am
The Telo has proximity switches. You don't have to actually touch them to activate them. You have to be careful if you move the box to keep your fingers well away from the buttons.

Do you have a cat?
#44031 by jamie985
Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:50 am
It's not my fingers, I am aware of that. We do have cats though....

I also use a Vtech phone and suspect it is an interaction between that and the telo; I"ll try and narrow this down.
#44038 by Mike-o-Matic
Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:30 am
VTech phones seem to have their share of issues with ooma boxen... particularly CID issues and whatnot. But I'm not sure how a phone could cause the DND feature to activate. Anybody heard of this happening before?

The cats are a plausible explanation, too... But of course, a cat would have to step onto the envelope button, and then "paws" for a few seconds while pressing the button, for that to happen. ARrrRRggh... sorry, couldn't resist. :D
#44581 by jamie985
Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:50 am
I believe I have found the problem and it is an ooma bug.

We use a Canon all in one printer, so the fax line goes to a splitter on the Ooma telo (the telephone goes through the other line on the splitter). I believe occasionally ( not ever time) when we print, some signal goes from the printer to the Ooma telo via the fax line, and this causes the "do not disturb" to activate. I'll try and narrow this down to an exact event, but I think this is what is happening.
#44607 by jamie985
Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:07 am
Yep, it's definitely my all in one printer. When I print, first the page ooma icon flashes, then the "do not disturb" goes on while the large ooma icon turns to purple.

If ooma cannot get this fixed, I"ll disconnect my fax line except for when I need it.

My printer is the Canon imageclass mf8350cdn
#44612 by Groundhound
Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:31 am
jamie985 wrote:Yep, it's definitely my all in one printer. When I print, first the page ooma icon flashes, then the "do not disturb" goes on while the large ooma icon turns to purple.

If ooma cannot get this fixed, I"ll disconnect my fax line except for when I need it.

My printer is the Canon imageclass mf8350cdn

Interesting. I have a different model Canon multifunction printer with fax line connected to my Telo by means of a splitter and I don't have this issue. Is your printer on the same network as your Telo? Does the problem go away when you disconnect the phone line?
#44615 by murphy
Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:57 am
Try connecting your fax to a different power outlet that's on a different breaker. Laser printers draw a huge amount of power when they start up from idle mode. It may be dropping the Telo's power low enough to cause the problem.
#44701 by jamie985
Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:08 am
so far (only 1 day) I am having no issues and all I"ve done is disconnect the fax line from the OOMA. So, while this is only 1 days input, the issue is the fax line and NOT the power line.

Once again, its the Canon imageclass mf8350cdn.

So does OOMA tech support follow these threads? I"ve put several emails into their support but they are not very prompt in getting back to you at all!
#44704 by jamie985
Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:36 am
Murphy it did it again, so it must be the power. I"ve plugged it into a different outlet (but no doubt on the same breaker). We'll see how that goes. Great suggestion.
This points out that perhaps they need better surge control on the ooma power adapter perhaps as no other items get screwed up (i.e. the modem. computer, etc).