Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#43480 by EDog
Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:13 pm
I think my second line is broke. I got my land line ported to Ooma today, and it is working fine. I'm trying to figure out how to dial out on the second line (I don't have the Ooma handsets). When I call my 2nd line from my cell phone or from my 1st line, it says the number I have reached is not in service. When I make a call on line 1, then use my cell phone to call my 1st line, I get the call waiting beeps on line 1 (no rollover to line 2). When I call out on line 1, then grab my second AT&T handset to call out, I get both handsets on the same call (just like how it worked with the Qwest land line). I read in a post here somewhere to prefix my number with **1 when dialing and it will go out on the second line. When I dial **1 I get a busy signal when the '1' is pressed.

Am I missing something here? My second line is doing me no good right now -- can't call out on it, and can't receive calls on it. What's it used for? Also, what's the **0 suffix on my phone numbers on the my.ooma.com preferences -> phone numbers?
#43485 by murphy
Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:49 am
Where did your second line phone number come from?
If it was the temporary number before the port, you have to specifically request that the temporary number become your second number or it will be discarded when the port completes.
#43489 by Groundhound
Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:11 am
EDog wrote:I think my second line is broke. I got my land line ported to Ooma today, and it is working fine. I'm trying to figure out how to dial out on the second line (I don't have the Ooma handsets). When I call my 2nd line from my cell phone or from my 1st line, it says the number I have reached is not in service. When I make a call on line 1, then use my cell phone to call my 1st line, I get the call waiting beeps on line 1 (no rollover to line 2). When I call out on line 1, then grab my second AT&T handset to call out, I get both handsets on the same call (just like how it worked with the Qwest land line). I read in a post here somewhere to prefix my number with **1 when dialing and it will go out on the second line. When I dial **1 I get a busy signal when the '1' is pressed.

Am I missing something here? My second line is doing me no good right now -- can't call out on it, and can't receive calls on it. What's it used for? Also, what's the **0 suffix on my phone numbers on the my.ooma.com preferences -> phone numbers?

Lines and numbers are not the same thing with Ooma. If you had an Ooma number before your port, you should call customer service and tell them you wanted to keep it as your second number after your port (Premier). They should be able to put it back on your account. Once it is added back, you can control which number shows up on your outbound CallerID by using the **1 prefix before the number you call for the second number to show on the CallerID of the person you are calling. Either number will ring on all of your non-Telo Handsets when dialed from elsewhere - in other words, both numbers will ring on your first line and you can only have one conversation at a time with no Telo Handsets. You will however, have call waiting and the ability to switch back and forth between two calls. And with Premier you can conference two calls together on your non-Telo Handset.

With Telo, you must have at least one Telo Handset to fully use the Premier Instant Second Line feature. This allows you to have two calls in progress simultaneously on separate phones. One line can be in use on any phone plugged into the Telo Phone port, while the other line is in use on the wireless Telo Handset. It does not matter how many phones you have plugged into the wired Phone port, the Phone port can only handle one phone conversation at a time.

Once you have a Telo Handset, you can have two non-conferenced calls in progress at the same time. Those two calls can both be on your first number, or both on your second number, or one call on each number. You can, if desired, assign your second number to only ring on your Telo Handset as a "personal device" - with this configuration the second number will have its own my.ooma account and voice mail.

It is somewhat confusing at first, the key is remembering that lines and numbers are not the same. The line buttons on your Telo only indicate which line was in use first, not which number is in use.
#43496 by amoney
Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:28 am
Are you referring to Ooma INSTANT 2nd line or do you actually see a second phone number listed in your my.ooma account?
#43609 by ShoesLover
Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:49 pm
I have the hub and the scout. Paid for the Premiere service since end of Dec2009. Supposed to have my 2nd line working by now. When I call my 2nd line number, it does not ring but said "The person you have dialed cannot take the call right now, please record after the beep....".

Well, I don't have the envelope lit up, it is supposed to ring but it doesn't. And even if I leave a message on the vm, there is not red light on the envelope. However, if I logon to My Ooma, there are the messages.

Think there's something wrong, I'm not sure because I'm relatively new to Ooma.

Can someone please explain if I did something wrong? Support is closed now.

Thanks!
#43634 by murphy
Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:26 am
Many scouts were shipped with the wrong serial number on the bottom. You will have to call customer support and have them compare the serial number of the scout that is connected to your hub with what is on the bottom of the scout. If they don't match you will have to redo the personal assignment of the scout using the serial number they give you.
#43637 by jmassimilla
Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:54 am
ShoesLover wrote:I have the hub and the scout. Paid for the Premiere service since end of Dec2009. Supposed to have my 2nd line working by now. When I call my 2nd line number, it does not ring but said "The person you have dialed cannot take the call right now, please record after the beep....".

Well, I don't have the envelope lit up, it is supposed to ring but it doesn't. And even if I leave a message on the vm, there is not red light on the envelope. However, if I logon to My Ooma, there are the messages.

Think there's something wrong, I'm not sure because I'm relatively new to Ooma.

Can someone please explain if I did something wrong? Support is closed now.

Thanks!

Which phone are you calling your 2nd number from? If you are calling from your primary Ooma number, it will go right to the 2nd number's voicemail. You cannot call your 2nd number from your 1st number or vice versa.
#43655 by ShoesLover
Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:45 pm
Thank you both for your insights. I used my cell phone and also my home phone (land line) to call. And it keep saying "the person you called can't take the call right now..." I went ahead and left test messages and it only shows up on the website as vm. Nothing blinking on the scout.

I think the wong serial number is the highest possibility. It is very strange that it has all these hidden issues.

Thanks for this forum, I am getting a much better understanding.
#44010 by EDog
Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:37 pm
Update:
I called support, and they fixed it. Now I can call out using my second phone # and it rings if called.

One interesting observation I may investigate, is now I have two Ooma Telo's under my.ooma.com->Preferences->Phone numbers. The first one has my two phone numbers associated with it, and the second one has no phone numbers associated with it. It looks like I could add two more phone numbers to the second Telo, but I have no need to do so now.