Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#43479 by OomaKid
Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:53 pm
I have a Telo with Basic service, and my Premier trial just ran out.

I didn't realize that Basic service did not come with Call Screening when the Voicemail kicks in.

I do not want to pay extra just for Call Screening, so is it possible to route all voicemails to an external voicemail machine that will allow me to screen calls?

Cheers,
Nick
#43486 by murphy
Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:53 am
Set the ooma voice mail number of rings to answer on higher than the number of rings for your own answering machine.
#43492 by Groundhound
Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:41 am
Also know that calls coming in while you're on the phone will still be picked up by Ooma's voice mail. While Telo is technically capable of hearing inbound DTMF tones, that function does not yet exist so checking your answering machine remotely will not be possible for the time being.
#50367 by rennman10
Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:50 pm
I am using the Ooma hub with an external answering machine (my Ooma hub is not in an easily visible spot). It works just fine. I have the answering machine set to pick up in 4 rings and the Ooma to pick up in 6. Ooma will catch messages after 6 rings if you ignore a call waiting beep (e.g. you are on the phone when the other call comes in). Works fine.

As is noted, it is not possible to pick up calls from the external answering machine remotely due to the DTMF issue. BUT all I need to do is to switch it around when I travel. Set the Ooma to pick up first and then I can check my messages on the Internet. Working well for me. It does mean that I can't pick up messages when I'm local but out-of-the-house. But for anything that's urgent, I'm gonna get called on my cell phone anyway.