Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#43321 by caseybea
Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:20 am
Is there a way to change the caller-id text your phone setup uses? When I signed up for my ooma setup, I of course used my first and last name.

But for my outbound caller id, I'd kind of like it the way our (still existing for now) landline uses; me and my wife's name.

I changed the preferences for my account, but when I check the status for my "phone number", the caller-id remains unchanged.

Any way to tweak this, or is this something that only CS can do?
#43324 by murphy
Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:29 am
Only CS can do it and I think there is a fee involved.
#43380 by bw1
Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:01 pm
Number or Caller Name Change Fee $11.99

https://www.ooma.com/legal/rates

Be careful, there's a limit to how long it can be and it will get truncated if you enter a caller id name that's too long.
I'm just not sure of the limit.

And ampersands are not accepted.
#43388 by Davesworld
Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:21 pm
I personally don't like the default layout. Mine wound up being my last name with my first initial on the end of my last name with NO space or anything in between, it looks retarded and winds up looking like a nonexistent name. The only time they gave me a choice was when I set up my second number on the hub. That one shows as my first name, space, and last name. I don't feel it right to charge you when you were never given a choice on your primary number in the first place.
Last edited by Davesworld on Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#43390 by bw1
Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:23 pm
Davesworld wrote:I personally don't like the default layout. Mine wound up being my last name with my first initial on the end of the name with NO space or anything in between, it looks retarded and winds up looking like a nonexistent name. The only time they gave me a choice was when I set up my second number on the hub. That one shows as my first name space last name. I don't feel it right to charge you when you were never given a choice on your primary number in the first place.

Yes, that's what happens when you put in a caller id entry that's too long.