Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#43023 by Pazium
Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:43 pm
I have used two separate phone numbers with Vonage before coming to ooma. One number was for voice and the other was for my all-in-one fax.
Question 1
Do I still need a separate number for fax?
Question 2
If so, what should I do next to port the second number? First number porting has begun.
Question 3
If not, how do I set up the fax with the ooma device and what suggestions do you have for the second number?
I have had both numbers (great numbers) for several years, so I am kind of attached. :D

Thank you for your responses.
#43112 by alancommike
Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:24 pm
I have a second number for my fax and gave it a distinctive ring that my fax machine picks up. Works fine. If your fax machine can listen for distinctive ring, give that a try.

Note that the Telo only has a single POTS RJ11 jack, so it's really only a single line and will ring when either number is called. From parts of "My Ooma" it looks like there's some intent to eventually setup numbers to ring only where you want them to ring. I didn't give any of those settings a try, the distinctive ring works fine for me now.

In my case, I'm using the Telo Handset, so ideally, I'd like the "main" number to ring the handset and the "fax" number to ring out the wired Telo jack. As Ooma software and firmware matures, I'm sure this will eventually work.

...alan
#43412 by Potts
Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:01 pm
alancommike, so what type of fax machine are you using?