Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#42164 by kelkin
Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:24 am
I woke up this morning to find out that my optimum voice service that I'm porting to ooma is disconnected, so I figure wow.. the porting which I was told wouldn't complete until the week of 1/29 completed early! I call my number from my cell to verify, and I'm greeted with a message "The number you are calling is not in service". So I call up ooma, they tell me to call my previous carrier to find out why they disconnected me. I call up the previous carrier, and they tell me that the port has completed. Ooma says it hasn't, and now no one can call me!

On top of that, I'm hearing buzzing coming from calls I place on the ooma, they try to blame my cordless phone even though I have NEVER had that problem and can verify it only happens when the cordless is plugged into the ooma.. and they tell me it's because of "atmospheric conditions". Do they really think I'm that stupid??

I have no problem being patient and waiting even though I'm not happy about the wait to port, but everything here so far indicates that the concept of ooma is amazing but the execution of the idea is being done poorly. I shouldn't have to give out the temporary number to people to call me, and I shouldn't have to play ping pong between cablevision and ooma to figure out what's going on. The ooma handset is flakey telling me the battery is low minutes after I removed it from the charger.. there's buzzing niose coming from it when I use it, a different buzzing noise coming from my regular cordless when placing calls via the ooma.. I'm willing to try and work things out but my girlfriend is already hating the new service and wants me to get rid of it.

I'm so frustrated right now.... Do other people have these issues? Do I just have defective ooma equipment? Is it poorly designed and I'm just expecting too much from it?
-Keith
*Topic updated to reflect things are going better now.
Last edited by kelkin on Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#42172 by Potts
Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:03 am
Myself it sounds like your number is being ported at this time. Hold tight for about 6-8 hours. Keep posting for additional followups
#42175 by kelkin
Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:21 am
Potts wrote:Myself it sounds like your number is being ported at this time. Hold tight for about 6-8 hours. Keep posting for additional followups

I will, but upon an additional call to cablevision and ooma, ooma is stating that they won't complete their side of the port until 1/29, so I should tell cablevision to re-activate my service as the port won't complete if my service is disconnected. I informed cablevision of this and they are working on re-activating me. Hopefully this won't interfere with the port, I relayed my concern about this to the ooma rep and they assured me it won't. Only time will tell,
-Keith
#42280 by kelkin
Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:24 am
Just to update those interested, Cablevision says that they completed the port request and Ooma was supposed to complete the port on their side. Ooma says they're not goig to do it until the week of 1/29, which means Ooma is holding this up. Ooma says that the line needs to be active for them to complete the port, and asked me to have Cablevision re-activate my line. I called them up, it took 10 hours but they finally did so. I re-forwarded my line, so I'm getting calls to my temporary number again. Hopefully this doesn't screw up the port on Ooma's side.

-Keith
#42283 by Potts
Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:49 am
I got a feeling your system is up and running. I don't think Ooma will leave you dead in the water until the 29th. I suggest shutting down everthing. Remove Ooma and do a fresh setup. Review your booklet. Check your land line wall outlet using just a phone. in my case it was dead.

Tell us your setup before porting? was your land line intergrated?. It should be modem, Ooma, Router,
#42294 by kelkin
Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:07 pm
Potts wrote:I got a feeling your system is up and running. I don't think Ooma will leave you dead in the water until the 29th. I suggest shutting down everthing. Remove Ooma and do a fresh setup. Review your booklet. Check your land line wall outlet using just a phone. in my case it was dead.

Tell us your setup before porting? was your land line intergrated?. It should be modem, Ooma, Router,

My original telco providor is Optimum Voice, originally I configured the Ooma with landline integration but due to a few different issues and based on the advice of someone in the forum I contacted Ooma, had them reconfigure the device with a temporary number, and call-forwarded the Optimum number to the temporary Ooma number. As of this moment, my Ooma is still using the temporary number and the Optimum Voice number is still active on Cablevision's modem. I just did a test to see if calls to my landline are going direct to the Ooma, or are being forwarded via Cablevision and they still are going through Cablevision's network.
-Keith
#42310 by Potts
Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:14 pm
O.K. Let me see if I got this right. At this time your land line is intergated, and you also have a temp number correct!
#42334 by kelkin
Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:46 pm
No, land line is no longer integrated. At this time, I'm call-forwarding my optimum voice number to my temporary ooma number. I'm not using the optimum voice line at all, even though it is still active. My optimum voice is NOT connected to the Telo.
-Keith