Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#42125 by lilkazuo
Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:37 pm
I have been having issues calling Vietnam. After hearing the message telling me how minutes and how much money I have left on my account, the call rings. However, it just keeps ringing and is never picked up. I know for a fact that the person I'm calling never heard their phone ring in this case. When I tried using a calling card with the Ooma the call went through and went smoothly. Why is it I can't call Vietnam w/o the use of a calling card? Also, I have been able to call Australia and Canada w/o phone cards successfully.
#43978 by homeless
Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:57 pm
I guess the most possible reason because Vietnam isn't on the 500 mins international list. Correct me if I'm wrong.
#55411 by KevinT
Thu May 13, 2010 5:32 am
lilkazuo wrote:I have been having issues calling Vietnam. After hearing the message telling me how minutes and how much money I have left on my account, the call rings. However, it just keeps ringing and is never picked up. I know for a fact that the person I'm calling never heard their phone ring in this case. When I tried using a calling card with the Ooma the call went through and went smoothly. Why is it I can't call Vietnam w/o the use of a calling card? Also, I have been able to call Australia and Canada w/o phone cards successfully.

I got the same problem. Tried 3 times, phone rang, no one pick up. But Ooma charged me 29cent each call :?: . I think the phone in VN didn't ring at all even though I heard it rang my phone. I got $100 credit for international use when buying this phone, if I cant call to VN, I dont know what to do with it...
#55511 by Davesworld
Fri May 14, 2010 3:22 am
homeless wrote:I guess the most possible reason because Vietnam isn't on the 500 mins international list. Correct me if I'm wrong.

What does this have to do with anything? If you have a balance you can call any country you wish, you do not need an international plan. I have called Vietnam using Ooma in the past and it worked ok if I remember correctly, this was several months ago. If the reigns needed to be tightened money wise, routing international calls over grey route would be one way to cut a tiny amount of costs on their end. Note that I have no real proof of what they are actually doing with international call routing these days.

International calls can be routed over one of three routes and very few voip providers disclose which route they use much less offer a choice not to mention charging triple what the call really costs. There is grey, white and premium. The op's experience sounds like a grey route which is a junk route and it's truly only worth 5.2 cents a minute for a grey route to Vietnam, if you knew some of the paths a grey route can go through you'd cry. I've called Vietnam myself using a provider where simply dialing 04+country code + city code + number takes a premium route and it's worked always with no disconnections and excellent quality to a cell phone with the main limitation being the cell link and lesser quality codec used by the cellular phone on their end but always connected and always clear communication. White and Premium are often the same price and only a few cents a minute higher than grey. Trouble is that such providers are difficult to set up for the non tech savvy unless they purchase a preconfigured ATA from such a provider.

The calling card is routing your calls through them and likely a white route.