Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#2377 by realsol
Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:50 pm
I miss dialed a number today and got a Verizon Wireless recorded error message. I have been told by some people that it sounded like I was calling from a cell phone. This particular call was going from Redding,CA to Grand Rapids Michigan.

Does Ooma use Wireless companies to connect calls?
#2404 by realsol
Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:37 am
What I actually did was not include a '1' in the number. I was testing to see if 10 digit dialing was working. That is when I got the recording. When I added the '1', that is when the call went through.

I thought the same as you, but not including a '1' would be a standard error recording when calling through Verizon. My Cell phone (no part of Ooma) uses Verizon. I get this recording when I forget to include a '1'. So when I didn't include a '1' on Ooma and got the same recording, so it looks to me that Ooma Does use cell services to place calls.

I am hoping not and would like to hear from someone at Ooma to confirm or deny this.
#2405 by Mojo
Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:10 am
No, we don't use wireless companies to connect calls.

We should have 10 digit dialing available in 1-2 weeks. We'll likely send a note out to all ooma users beforehand.