Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#42137 by tommies
Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:42 am
Do you place a DSL filter/micro filter on your land line(with DSL) before feeding it into ooma WALL port? Maybe this is the source of your problem.

Regardless whether you using the scout, the hub's WALL port will sent HPNA signal, which will interfere with DSL signal on your land line.

I don't know if the DSL filter/micro filter will filter both ways or just filter it one way. If it just filters one way, you might need two of them, one for filtering DSL from going ooma WALL port, and another for filtering HPNA from the ooma WALL port from enter land line.

Hope this help.
#42201 by tims75vette
Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:59 pm
Okay, sounds GREAT, thanks for the help. I really like some of the thoughts here. I really appreciate it. I really want to keep this Ooma device. I think it is a big thing.

How does this sound?

Ooma hub changed over to Ooma number.

No phone line to”wall” phone plug on Ooma.

Landline forwarded to Ooma number.

Cordless base to Ooma “phone” plug.

Wall phone outlet to the DSL splitter that came with the gateway.

DSL phone line from splitter to DSL gateway.

Separate phone to phone side of DSL splitter.

This pretty much makes my scout useless correct? Though I do have a 4 phone cordless system.

I want to do this for a couple of reasons. One, my DSL would go up $10 a month if I don't have a landline with the phone company. The cheapest service that they have is $10 a month. So for the same price I would get the Ooma and a landline. I would have access to a phone if the power goes out. ( Though I do use a UPS for the Ooma, DSL gateway and cordless).

Does that all sound alright?

Again, thanks for the help. I really think I am gonna like having this Ooma.
#42204 by southsound
Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:13 pm
tims75vette wrote: Ooma hub changed over to Ooma number. You need to call support to do this.
No phone line to”wall” phone plug on Ooma.
Landline forwarded to Ooma number.
Cordless base to Ooma “phone” plug.
Wall phone outlet to the DSL splitter that came with the gateway.
DSL phone line from splitter to DSL gateway.
Separate phone to phone side of DSL splitter.

This pretty much makes my scout useless correct? Not really - see below Though I do have a 4 phone cordless system.

Your setup sounds almost like mine. I also keep a landline for cost reasons with DSL and it is handy to have a backup when the power goes out. But that does not preclude the use of the scout. You can do a couple of things with it.

If you subscribe to Premier, you can connect the scout with a short cable directly to the hub. Hub wall jack to Scout wall jack. Then plug a second cordless base into the scout. This will give you the instant second line or if you choose, an additional number (teen phone, business line, etc.)

If all you want is the basic service but would like to use the scout for voicemail, just choose an unused pair of wires in your phone cable and connect up the wall ports via that pair. Some homes have both the white/blue and white/orange wires connected throughout the home. Line one is the white/blue pair and line 2 is the white/orange pair. This is typically done even if line 2 is never connected to the telco, just in case you want to use it in the future. If this is the case, you can use 2line splitters at the hub and scout ends - the DSL splitter uses line 1 - the hub and scout use line 2. The splitter for this use is always marked L1 & L2. It may also have a combined jack on it labeled L1+L2 like in the picture - this kind is also OK. A simple two phone splitter will not work.

Let us know what you would like to do after you get things up and running with the configuration you have noted and we'll walk you through any challenges. :cool:
#42286 by tims75vette
Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:02 am
Excellent!!! I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help.

I called and got a number from Ooma. I live kinda far out from town where all of my family lives so I got a number from there so I am no longer long distance! How cool is that!!!!!

Right now I have the scout connected to the wall side of the Ooma. I have a 25 foot phone cord running thru the wall hole I have for my sat TV cable into my bedroom where I have the scout hooked up to another phone. I am gonna get a cordless system for the scout as well.

Also, right now I have a 500va UPS with the Ooma, cordless system, and the DSL gateway plugged into it. In a bit I am gonna unplug the UPS and see how long it will last with those devices on it.

I am also gonna see about getting one of the splitters like you show. My internet speed is back to 5.02mbps which I would imagine helps the Ooma as well.

My upload is 602kbps, should I hook my laptop to the home port of the Ooma and change the QoS settings?

Again, thanks for the help. I am really beginning to enjoy this Ooma. The voice quality is superb!!!!!!!! Best bet yet!!!!!
#42343 by southsound
Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:21 pm
tims75vette wrote:Excellent!!! I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help.

I called and got a number from Ooma. I live kinda far out from town where all of my family lives so I got a number from there so I am no longer long distance! How cool is that!!!!!

My internet speed is back to 5.02mbps which I would imagine helps the Ooma as well.
My upload is 602kbps, should I hook my laptop to the home port of the Ooma and change the QoS settings?

Again, thanks for the help. I am really beginning to enjoy this Ooma. The voice quality is superb!!!!!!!! Best bet yet!!!!!

I'm glad that my suggestions helped! As to QoS, I only have 1.5mbps down and 768kbps up. I have my QoS set at half of the rated speed - 768 down and 384 up. Since you have a lot better bandwidth, QoS probably is not as important for you unless you run a lot of heavy PC traffic over your connection. That said, it would not hurt to change the settings and see how things worked with your voice connection. Some recommend setting the QoS at 80% of your rated speed. Why not try and see what happens? Of course, the settings won't mean much until you download that BIG file or do some bit torrent stuff. Maybe others with more experience with fast connections can chime in.