Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#41577 by tims75vette
Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:05 pm
My problem is no voicemail. I have searched this forum. I have contacted customer support and the person was unable to help. She couldn’t “find anyone else who had this problem”. She gave me a CS# and said I would get an e-mail within 48 hours. Been over 48 hours. No e-mail as of this post.

The phone will ring for a few times and then the modem resets the DSL connection (DSL light goes from green to flashing red then to green again. Internet light goes out then in a few moments after the DSL light goes green the internet light returns to green.). The calling phone will continue to hear ringing but the ooma devices will stop ringing. No greeting comes on. No voicemail is left. (Just ringing, it never goes to the greeting)

When I first installed the ooma devices all worked great. Now, no voicemail. Changed nothing. Even so I have reset every device, gateway, Ooma, restarted computer. All numerous times.

I have reset and restarted everything numerous times to no avail. I have tried every combination of settings in MyOoma. The voice mail will setup properly.

I am fairly well computer literate. I am the one everyone I know use as their “computer support” I have yet to come across a problem I couldn’t solve given time. This problem is very frustrating. What happens in the future even if this problem is remedied?

I need a fix in a couple of days or back it goes. ( I only have 30 days to return for a full refund.)

Here is my setup:

AT&T internet 6meg
Speedtest.net without Ooma: 5.05meg; with Ooma 2.66meg
Upload 600kb+ Ping 42ms

2wire 2701HG-B gateway (integrated router)
Ooma connected to Ethernet port on gateway
Laptop and desktop connected wireless
DVR connected via cat5 to gateway

NEVER any problems with my internet before now.

Please help.
#41590 by Groundhound
Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:25 pm
Ooma Hub or Telo?

Integrated landline or did you receive an Ooma-assigned number?

Did you attempt to setup voicemail by picking up the handset connected to the Ooma device and press the play button - then follow the prompts?
#41595 by EDog
Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:50 pm
The fact your DSL modem is resetting is likely the reason your caller doesn't get a chance to leave a voice mail. It is weird the modem resets when the phone rings. Can you consistently create the modem resetting by simply calling your Ooma number from a cell phone or some other phone? Does your modem work fine as long as no-one calls your Ooma number?

Weird...
#41600 by EDog
Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:20 pm
There is another post regarding intermittent wireless connectivity by someone using the same modem that says they have to unplug the modem periodically, and that post in combination with this post leads me to want to try and eliminate periodic connection failures as the root cause, possibly caused by intermittent lost authentication with AT&T.

Check out the following posts and see if either of them describe at all what you are seeing:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r182061 ... onnections
http://forums.practicallynetworked.com/ ... php?t=7369
#41613 by tims75vette
Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:27 am
Sorry, it is an Ooma hub, yes a call from any phone causes modem to reset. Yes, the modem works great as long as no one calls me on the Ooma. Plus, it is connected to a landline. Also, set up voicemail using phone.

I have been able to glance at the other post on an issue related to mine and I am not sure it appllies. I have to go to work now so I am unable to really get into it, (it is a long post). Will check it out more when I get home.

The modem works great unless the Ooma receives a call.

Thanks for all of your help.
#41765 by EDog
Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:39 pm
Strange indeed. The Ooma Hub is just a Linux box, so I don't understand why putting it on the network would affect your DSL gateway. Makes no sense. I don't know what type of traffic the Hub/Telo generates, but what ever it is it seems to be kicking your gateway off line. Ooma technical support will have to help out on this one, unless of course you are willing to throw a protocol analyzer (ethereal.com, wireshark.org, etc.) on the line and have a look at the traffic coming through when the phone rings. Best to rely on Ooma tech support unless you are very technically inclined.

Good luck!
#41769 by tims75vette
Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:06 pm
Nope, not that technically inclined. :( Strange tho. I set my system to answer after 39 seconds and turned on an old answering machine so I wouldn't miss any calls while at work.

I came home and I had a message ON MY OOMA!!!!!!!! :shock: I checked MyOoma and it was set to answer after 10 seconds. I know I pressed save and I even tested it before I left for work.

Now, I am totally confused. :?: :o

I just tested it by calling from my cell phone and all worked well except for call screening. I have "enable call screening" checked in my preferences. I am afraid to try and fix it for fear of losing all again. It did not reset the modem when I called. It answered after two rings and it played the greeting over the calling phone but I did not hear the call on the Ooma speaker. The volume is turned up.

I would still like to know why I am losing half of my downloading speed.

Curiouser and curiouser???? :?: :?: :?: :shock: :shock:
#41784 by EDog
Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:48 pm
I'd keep it as is for now and try and get some baseline data. Let it run for a few days and monitor the behavior of both the Ooma and the network, then start modifying settings on Ooma one at a time and let it run for a few days. Hopefully the root cause is some type of setting on the Ooma hub. If it is, hopefully you can identify what setting is causing all the grief and set it so it doesn't blow up your network.

Still, pretty strange.
#42120 by tims75vette
Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:00 pm
Well, the actual voicemail works EXCEPT for call screening. I have checked "enable call screening" saved, unchecked & saved, still no call screening. the volume is turned up. I have no idea what to try.

At least I can get my messages now. I still would like to know what was going on with the reseting of the modem, tho it is now doing that anymore.

So, I will keep this device if I can get the call screening to work.

Also, any help on why I have lost 1/2 of my broadband download speed..........??
#42132 by southsound
Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:02 pm
Sorry I haven't stepped in before this - but I believe the problem is that the hub is causing a problem with your DSL because you have an itegrated landline. That will cause the resets and also the lower speeds. Are you going to port eventually or was the decision to use the integrated landline for some other reason? It really limits the features that are available on the hub and provides no opportunity to test how the hub is really performing because all incoming calls and local outgoing calls go right over your landline. Why not call ooma tech support at 888 711-6662 and have them reset the system to work without the landline and give you an ooma number?

After you have done this, you will need a phone or cordless base plugged into the phone port on the hub and you will either need to keep a separate phone on the old landline (with a microfilter, of course) or if you want, you can have your telco set up call forwarding to your ooma number - then all incoming and outgoing calls would go through the ooma hub. If you want to feed other phones in your home with the ooma system, we can walk you through that too - but you will want to keep the wiring for that on a separate pair of wires to preserve your DSL signal.

Post back with your progress if you do have them remove the integration or if you have additional questions.