Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#41212 by puzzledjim
Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:34 pm
Just setup ooma hub with scout system today, as shown in fig. F page 21 of the Quick Start Guide (not using scout).
When a call came in I picked up phone to answer the new system and I got a ooma dial tone, no person on other end.
So then I thought I better test the system using my cell phone to my home (hub) number (not a ooma number) to see if I get voice mail, rang to set number of rings, but went dead in 10 seconds with no setup voice mail greeting.
I called again from my cell and this time picked up after 2 rings, could hear my voice for about 2 seconds and went dead.
Does anyone out there have any thoughts on this?
Thank you.
#41213 by murphy
Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:38 pm
I'm unclear on whether you set up your voice mail.
Pick up the phone that is connected to the hub and then press the play button to begin voice mail setup.
#41278 by bw1
Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:15 am
I assume you have a blue tab on the Hub and your landline connected to the wall port of the Hub and you can make outgoing calls, including local and long distance.

Did you connect the wall port to your phone jack through a DSL filter?

Do you have another phone connected to another wall jack and do calls to the landline ring the other phone? Can you answer the landline from another phone?

There is lots of information about integrated landlines on the forum: search.php?keywords=integrated+landline&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Many of us recommend keeping the landline and Ooma service separate.
#41317 by puzzledjim
Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:48 am
Blue tab is on, all DSL filters taken off and yes I have a phone in another phone jack and I can answer on that one.
The Ooma will answer and can hear a voice for about 2 seconds then it switches to the ooma dial tone.
If I do not answer it rings for the set amount of rings I setup in preferences, but does not go to voice mail that I setup at activation.
The only line that is coming into the house is a DSL/landline connection which I will change to just DSL and transfer my existing number to ooma when I get this to work, but don't want to do that yet and take a chance of losing my number.
I will take a look at the link you suggested.
Thank you for your help.
#41320 by feartheturtle
Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:07 am
I am not very familiar with DSL service/devices - but shouldn't there be a DSL filter on the line plugged into the wall port of the Hub? Better yet would be to remove the DSL signal from line 1 phone wiring if possible, and route it to the DSL modem directly.
#41330 by bw1
Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:05 am
feartheturtle wrote:I am not very familiar with DSL service/devices - but shouldn't there be a DSL filter on the line plugged into the wall port of the Hub? Better yet would be to remove the DSL signal from line 1 phone wiring if possible, and route it to the DSL modem directly.

I'm not very familiar with DSL either, but I think you're right.

You could also try a factory reset of the Hub.
#41368 by puzzledjim
Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:37 pm
I tried both with and without DSL filter. Yesterday I could call out, but not receive, today can't do either, calling out to any number I get a busy signal.
I have talked with support and did some line speed checks, reset pushing on ooma tab while unplugging and plugging in and now waiting for an engineer contact with a ticket number.
Thank you all for your input.