Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#40774 by barista
Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:52 pm
I apologize if this has already been discussed, but I didn't find anything.
Also, I doubt there is a solution, but here we go anyway!

My Ooma Telo is connected to my home network. It is not connected to a landline. The Telo is connected to my fax machine which has a "phone out" port that I then connect to my phone. I have the fax machine set up in "telephone priority" which means that if I answer a call the fax "listens" and if it hears another fax it will take over the call. If it's a voice call we can just talk. This works just great.

The problem is Ooma voicemail. In a normal configuration (without Ooma) both the telephone and the answering machine would be "after" the fax and so if the answering machine answered the call the fax would be able to listen in as well and determine it's a fax call and take it. But Ooma is both the telephone line and the answering machine, with no way to insert the fax machine in between. Is there any way around this?

I'm really happy with Ooma, btw. Other than for the above scenario I've been able to send and receive faxes. Sound quality is great and I now have a second line/fax line with no monthly fees. At some point I'll get brave enough to ditch my landline!

Thanks in advance for any ideas/advice.

-- Hal
#40989 by barista
Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:43 pm
Thanks bw1... Yes, I can get it to pick up. If I set the fax machine's "number of rings before picking up" to fewer than Ooma's voicemail the fax machine does pick up and things work great.

I was just hoping to be able to use the line for fax and also have voice mail.
#41009 by amoney
Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:01 am
In My Ooma, you can configure OVS to activate after a certain number of rings. Unless you have set your system to Do Not Disturb, each message is screened (played aloud) over the Ooma device speakers as it is recorded. While the caller is recording their message, you can pick up the phone at anytime to talk to the caller.

I assume the Ooma call screening is picking up the line on the Ooma server end and then just playing it on the Telo at the same time, the fax never detects the line being picked up. Without the fax listening in on the call screening (line pickup), it does not know.

Perhaps Ooma can engineer a way to accomadate this working... especially if Ooma wants to get the buisness market. Not to mention DTMF tones. Anyone else notice when you call Ooma support that the DTMF tones (press 1 for...) dont work.

I would recommed putting a post into the feature request for this perhaps someday.

Other than that your only other option would be get a another dedicated Telo for fax only. Or just keep a basic landline for fax and backup line.

I too was real iffy ditching the landline, and thanks to ATT increase fees, it pushed me over the top, I have been waiting for a year for the Telo, finally just got ported a few weeks ago. feels good.
#41020 by Groundhound
Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:15 am
amoney wrote:Perhaps Ooma can engineer a way to accomadate this working... especially if Ooma wants to get the buisness market. Not to mention DTMF tones. Anyone else notice when you call Ooma support that the DTMF tones (press 1 for...) dont work.

They work for Ooma support, but you have to wait for the announce message to complete.