Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#36984 by jolive
Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:12 pm
Telo installed easily enough.
Worked for a couple of weeks before I ordered port of my home phone number.
Port went OK.
Three weeks later Telo stops working.

Ooma icon solid red.
Work with tech support for an hour -> Reset Telo
Now endless cycle of flashing blue, solid blue, flashing blue, no lights, flashing blue, solid blue,...

Work with tech support again for 4 hours, open ticket with engineering.
Request supervisor, one will call you, never does.
Phone has been out for 6 days.
You should get a call back in 72 hours.

If you care about your phone service, don't get Ooma.
...at least don't port your number and don't give up a land line.

International (Philapiines) call center - not knowledge about product no manager or engineering escalation.

Please can I have a new unit since it is only 45 days since I bought it, but too long for Amazon's 30 day return....

Nightmare. Don't do it if you care about your phone service.
#37013 by jolive
Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:23 pm
More information on the trouble with my Telo:

I had trouble accessing setup.ooma.com with a PC directly connected to the Home Network port.
DHCP didn't work.
I had to configure the PC to have a static IP address of 172.27.35.2 and access the Telo setup by going to http://172.27.35.1. Seemed like DNS was not working.

Status at the home screen:
Your ooma Network is Initializing, please wait...

Internet: Detecting...
Ooma Core: Detecting...

Phone Line: Detecting...

Status screen:
Device Status - Rev: 1.27306

Network

MODEM: Connected : [192.168.1.68]
HOME: Connected : [172.27.35.1]

Ooma Tunnel: Disconnected

Services

Telephony: 3183 - Running

DNS: Status unavailable !

Web Server: 319 - Running

VPN: 3435 - Running

Free: 215636

I also took the Telo, unplugged it from my home cable Internet connection, took it to work and connected it behind the DSL router.

Exact same symptoms: Blinking blue icon for 60 seconds, solid blue for 20 secs, blinking blue for 60 secs, no lights for 20 seconds, blinking blue for 60 secs, etc.

Ooma tech support says they never see the Ooma in their logs.

From my laptop directly connected to the home network port, I am able to surf the web through the Telo when the Telo is either directly connected to my cable modem or connected behind the router.

Appreciate any insight. I'm suspecting the unit is bad and hope that Ooma tech support calls me back quickly with that diagnosis and willing to send me a replacement.
#37015 by oldanbo
Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:44 pm
For one thing, your firmware is not up to date. I don't know why they call it firmware, to me its software. It also sounds like support hasn't linked your tn to your telo. That maybe why your firmware isn't current.

I forget what level of support you have kicked this up to, but, kick it higher. This is ridiculous (IMHO).

Just for grins, reboot the Telo and let it set. If it hasn't booted up and started working within, say 30 mins, PM Dennis or Bobby. There may be others here that can provide more insight/help, they are an intelligent and supportive bunch.

Regards
#37037 by murphy
Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:37 am
OT: If it's loaded into RAM, it's software. It goes away when power is turned off.
If it's loaded into ROM, EPROM, EEPROM, or Flash, it's firmware. It stays right where it is through a power failure.
#37049 by jolive
Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:10 am
Yes, I agree about the software revision seeming to be out of date. I raised that concern in the discussion with Tech Support but they didn't think too much of it.

I have not found a way of forcing or downloading a new software release, I guess as a last ditch prayer that a newer software release somehow fixes the problems.