Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#16802 by niknak
Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:42 pm
ooma does not pay anything to connect toll free calls, and does not use radio transmissions to complete a call

when using a cell phone you are paying for airtime in addition to the cost of connecting the call, that is why you pay for 800# calls on a cell phone
#16805 by scottlindner
Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:18 am
wase4711 wrote:I'd say 3 hour meetings constitute BUSINESS USE, not resedential use...

Working from home, although for supporting the business you work for, is residential use. Business use is when you are using it as part of running a business. You'll know the difference based on if you called you local telco and asked for a landline.

I have had 8 hour telecons from home using my Ooma and I feel very comfortable saying that my home is a residence and I'm confident if Ooma investigated my calling patterns they'd agree.

Scott
#16877 by MikeekiM
Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:23 am
niknak wrote:ooma does not pay anything to connect toll free calls, and does not use radio transmissions to complete a call

when using a cell phone you are paying for airtime in addition to the cost of connecting the call, that is why you pay for 800# calls on a cell phone

That makes a lot of sense... Thanks niknak...

So just so I am clear... Do you consider this your opinion, or are you confident that this is also official ooma policy? Cuz I 100% agree with your opinion...

Like Scott, I am a work-at-home employee... I just want to make sure that I do not get screwed over a technicality when I potentially go over my 3,000 minute limit, and half of the calls are to an 800 teleconference bridgeline...
#16879 by niknak
Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:28 am
not 100% sure, but i did work in the telco industry. only an ooma official could confirm, but that is my experience and opinion.

as far as 3000 min/mo and ooma, (once again - my opinion) ooma looks at these cases on an individual basis, working from home is not the same as using ooma for a business system (call center, etc), you are still making residential calls, and I believe it was stated by the moderators, that they would look and make determinations based on that - residential vs business use
#16882 by MikeekiM
Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:38 am
I 100% agree with your opinion here...

I called Ooma customer service, and they agree that a residential line can, in fact, be used legitimately to dial into a work-at-home teleconference. That this is different than owning a business, or running a call center, or running a telemarketing calling campaign.

However, for some reason, there is still a lot of opinions that work-at-home does not fall under a residential line. If you take the landline world as a comparison, I have a residential line...and I have talked with their customer service and they do not expect me to purchase their business class service for my work at home purposes... And if Ooma is looking to compete "like-for-like", I think they need to handle similar situations similarly...

On the question of toll-free calling, their customer service advised me that this was a very fuzzy area, with not a lot of definition around it... I guess they don't need to have a solid definition around it right now because they aren't really enforcing the 3,000 limit... They are checking for obvious abuse, and so these little refining details are not important to them at the moment (my conjecture)... What they did tell me is that there is some works in place to put a tiered service model in place, including (potentially) a business class service...
#16884 by niknak
Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:42 am
from what i read here ooma enforces the 3000 min limit on a case by case basis...i also remember one of the moderators saying that if someone has a legitimate reason to go over that, they would not suffer a consequence.

The limit is there to prevent abuse for what is supposed to be a residential service

sounds like your use is legitimate, i would not worry too much about it
#16887 by MikeekiM
Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:04 pm
niknak wrote:from what i read here ooma enforces the 3000 min limit on a case by case basis...i also remember one of the moderators saying that if someone has a legitimate reason to go over that, they would not suffer a consequence.

The limit is there to prevent abuse for what is supposed to be a residential service

sounds like your use is legitimate, i would not worry too much about it

Agreed... Thanks for "talking" this one out with me... I am confident that I am fine... Now the big question is whether I wait for the new Telo or not... I was originally concerned that Ooma would eliminate the RJ-11 out on the new Telo Hub, with a closed system limited to their proprietary handsets...

But I have (finally) just seen photos of the back of the new unit, and both the "Phone" and "Wall" RJ-11 ports are still there!

I already have the original hub for my home line... I may just wait for the new Telo for my work-at-home line (and hopefully, Ooma will allow me to swap the phone numbers on the hub, so that I can have all of the new nifty features on my home line... I don't have a lot of fancy needs for me work-at-home line...just need a dialtone!) :)