Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#3910 by cetacea
Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:59 am
Bobby B wrote:If you're primarily using it for residential usage and occasional work toll-free conference calls, then I wouldn't worry about going over 3000 outgoing minutes. Mainly the 3000 minute clause was added to deter telemarketing/commercial entities from purchasing and using the product.

Also, while we've never charged any commercial user that has gone over 3000 minutes, the customer support rep was incorrect, it should be 1.9 cents/min, not 2.9 cents/min.

vbvamsi wrote:I subscibed to OOMA less than a week ago and I am very happy with the service. I didn't know about the 3000 minute limit till today. My family uses way over 3000 minutes every month. I sometimes dial in for my meetings from home which last for over 3 hours. Does the 3000 minutes include toll-free numbers as well?

I just talked to the customer support today and the rep told me that the 3000 minutes limit is for residential users also. Once I cross 3000 minutes, I will be charged at 2.9c per minute. Also there is no way to check how many minutes I used.

As Bobby mentions in the previous post that Residential users need not worry about crossing the 3000 minutes, that sounds good. But if I see a charge on my credit card for crossing 3000 minutes, who do I take this to?

Thanks in advance for the response.

Thank you Bobby! :)

This was a growing concern for us as well, having just purchased our Ooma from Costco.com and finding out later about the 3000 minutes on Outgoing calls.

We fall into a similar category, long calls with family, friends, and associates, and several toll-free conference calls a week that typically last an hour or more.

Clearly, we can see how Ooma would want to discourage abuse by telemarkers and the like who are calling hundreds of poeple daily to sell them something.

We certainly hope that Ooma will not penalize us, as it looks highly likely that we'll go over the 3000 minutes with our normal useage.

Perhaps for those commercial entities that are using Ooma, you could offer different levels of Premier Packages, say perhaps $150 / year for 6000 minutes and $200 / year for 10,000 minutes.

Even at $0.019 / minute above 3000, an extra 3000 minutes would add up to $57 / month -- very close to the cost of a traditional landline with Unlimited U.S. local and long distance service.

At any rate, we love our Ooma (won't even tell you the horror stories about our trial of the MagicJack) and look forward to many years of service with you!

Many Thanks!

Marc & Gloria
#9335 by Eric P
Fri May 08, 2009 7:55 am
I doubt I go over 3000 minutes a month, and I actually spend more time talking to my best friend, who incidentally got Ooma on my advice (he's really happy with it!) than anyone else. He moved to Illinois and I live in Atlanta, but we play PS3 games a lot and prefer talking over the phone when gaming than using the in game chat, as we switch games often during a session).

Anyhow, I was wondering if Ooma to Ooma calls count towards the 3000 minute limit?

Thanks in advance!

Eric
#16794 by MikeekiM
Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:10 pm
What about outgoing toll-free (800/866/877/888) calls?

Do these count in the 3,000 minute monthly cap? I understand that ooma does not enforce unless there are clear signs of abuse, but it is important to know what the clinical definition of this limit is...
#16796 by niknak
Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:08 pm
MikeekiM wrote:What about outgoing toll-free (800/866/877/888) calls?

Do these count in the 3,000 minute monthly cap? I understand that ooma does not enforce unless there are clear signs of abuse, but it is important to know what the clinical definition of this limit is...

toll free means toll free, when you dial an 800# the owner pays for the charge not the caller
#16801 by MikeekiM
Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:38 pm
Hi... Yes, I agree with what you are saying...

But cell phones, as an example, has the term "air time" which means that even if it's incoming or outgoing, toll free or normal call, "air time" minutes are depleted...

I am wondering if there is any official word on whether outgoing toll-free depletes from the 3,000 limit (despite the clear meaning of toll free that you and I agree on...

They have made it clear that incoming does not count... But the terms and conditions are not explicit on how toll free calls are handled...