Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#36865 by Christyson
Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:54 pm
I have the Hub in my basement, attached to a corded phone we don't use. In my kitchen we have the Scout with a cordless base and 3 satellite phones. Can I use these phones to access the second line? Or, can I only access the second line by using a phone connected to the Hub? i.e., can each Hub/Scout only support one line at a time?
#36869 by Groundhound
Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:03 pm
Since you don't use the phone in your basement, and assuming you are not using DSL, try the following. First make sure the phone company wiring is disconnected from your home wiring at the demarc box. Plug your Ooma splitter that came with your Hub into the wall jack in your basement, then plug a phone cord from both the wall port and the phone port on the Hub into that splitter. Take the corded phone upstairs and plug it into any wall jack you want that's different than the one you have your Scout plugged into - you should have dialtone on that phone.

If you use one of the cordless phones it will occupy one line while the corded phone will occupy the other. The first phone in use will be Line 1 and the second phone in use will be Line 2.
#37543 by oomg
Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:09 pm
Christyson wrote:I have the Hub in my basement, attached to a corded phone we don't use. In my kitchen we have the Scout with a cordless base and 3 satellite phones. Can I use these phones to access the second line? Or, can I only access the second line by using a phone connected to the Hub? i.e., can each Hub/Scout only support one line at a time?

Please don't disregard Groundhound's suggestion, but here is another idea. Attach a separate cordless system to your hub (where ever you ultimately decide to keep/use it).

Here is what I am doing at home where I am using the Hub/Scout. I have a rather large home. We currently have 12 cordless stations working on my primary number. These are connected up through four separate cordless base stations; one with 6 units at the Hub; one with 4 units at a separate Scout; and two separate cordless stations to separate Scouts in the upstairs bedrooms. I also have a second line (with Premier Service) connected to an assigned Scout in my home office/study.

Now, so long as I am not using the second line that is assigned to the Scout, two separate calls can be completed on the primary line at the same time if two separate cordless systems are used. Of course, if two calls are being made at the same time on my primary number (by using separate base station cordless systems), I cannot make an outgoing call on the second number assigned to the Scout.

I see no reason why you could not use separate cordless systems to access the second line without having assigned one of the numbers to the Scout.