Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#36569 by dtalwar
Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:17 am
I think there was another post I saw recently about voicemails getting mixed up. I thought to myself that can't be true, and if it is, it is pretty serious, isn't it? Well, it happened to me this morning. I woke up to my Telo VM indicator blinking. And, sure enough, there is a voicemail, except it isn't for me. I thought the person just had the wrong number, but there is no record of an incoming/missed call in my call logs, yet there is a voicemail. IMO, this is pretty scary if the voicemails are somehow getting mixed up and directed to wrong Inboxes on Ooma's server. Sorry for starting a new post, but I couldn't find the old post, otherwise I would have just added this to that. I would be more than happy to share information with any Ooma support or moderator who may want to look into this.

Edit: Actually just found the other post: /viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5097.
#36570 by dtalwar
Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:31 am
Ok, may be there is an explanation --- I do have Anonymous Call Blocking turned on and anonymous calls are directly sent to voicemail. So, perhaps this was an anonymous call that was directed to voicemail. If so, I would be so relieved. It's working just like it is supposed to. If it is indeed the case, it will be nice to see an entry in the call log that might reflect this direction to voicemail. I really hope this is the case.
#36773 by Mike-o-Matic
Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:57 am
Actually, you make a good case (IMO) for a fourth category of call:

1. Incoming
2. Missed
3. Outgoing
4. Redirected (or intercepted, direct-to-voicemail, or something logically similar... you get the idea).

This fourth bucket could encompass any calls sent there due to busy lines, do-not-disturb mode, anonymous call blocking, etc. Personally I think it makes sense to segregate these in the call logs, anyway. Just my $0.02 USD.
#38675 by newmanium
Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:51 am
I've been getting a bunch of these - also have anonymous call rejection setup, but all of the voicemails have numbers associated with them when I listen (i.e. says, "Message from 402-982-XXXX"). Our phones don't ring, and there is no record of the calls in the online Ooma setup.

I also posted here as well where it seems other people are having the same problem.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5097

Hope they figure it out, it's seriously annoying!!
#68575 by newmanium
Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:40 am
This problem is STILL occurring for me.

Just today, I got a voicemail out of the blue asking about the "cattle" I had for sale (phone never rings when this happens, we just get a voicemail popping up on the machine). He gave his phone number, so I called him back to ask him what number he had dialed. The phone number he called wasn't even the same *area code*, so clearly it isn't a case of anonymous call blocking. Only possible explanation is that he called another Ooma user, and the voicemail randomly was sent to our account instead (it shows up on our Ooma device, as well as online).

This has been going on for at least a year, and I can't imagine how many other voicemails are being routed all over the place. Can anybody from Ooma please investigate? Seems like a serious privacy problem.
#69119 by ntoy
Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:38 am
Hello,

I want to bring some closure to this issue on privacy. We want to reassure our
customers that there is no breach in security & account information is not
compromised in any way.

If a user picks a second phone number during their Premier trial, Ooma will reserve the phone number for a period of time after the trial period is over or after their Ooma Premier subscription has been cancelled. If someone dials (or misdials) the second phone number during this time, the call will be routed to voicemail immediately and any messages that are left will show up on the user's voicemail system. To remove the second phone number from your Ooma system after your Ooma Premier subscription has expired, please give our customer care agents a call.