Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#35140 by madcake
Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:10 pm
Hey everyone. Just set up my brand new Ooma hardware (Ooma Core, not the Telo) last night. Everything seemed to be going great until I tried to make a local phone call. It doesn't work. Dialing rules changed in CT on 11/14/2009 (http://www.ct.gov/dpuc/cwp/view.asp?a=3359&q=439244) and it seems that Ooma didn't get the memo. I've tried getting local calls to work with 10 digit dialing disabled and enabled. Either way I get the same troubling results... a recording telling me I need to dial the area code along with the number. I've tried dialing 7, 10, and 11 digits and they all end up with the same recording.

This is frustrating to say the least, expecially since I set my number port in motion before I discovered this problem. Long distance calling works excellent so far, but Ooma loses a lot of it's allure if I am unable to use it for local calls. Hoping there is a fix for this issue.

Is anyone else in CT (860 area code) having this problem? I've read posts in this forum about people having similar issues with area code overlays in PA, but I find it hard to believe that I'm the only Ooma customer in CT.

Called customer service today and all they could suggest to me was to disable 10 digit dialing which I did to no avail. This all makes me nervous about whether or not I made a wise choice by going with Ooma. I need to hear something encouraging. Would appreciate any information anyone has on how Ooma deals with area code overlays.
#35157 by madcake
Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:07 pm
Thanks Groundhound. It's something of a relief to know that I'm not alone. While it certainly is interesting that switching to an Ooma provided CT phone number solved one user's problem it would make me feel a whole lot better if there was an explanation as to why using an existing number doesn't work. I guess I would wonder if the problem would resurface when the number port is completed. I will post anything useful that I can get out of the official Ooma support tomorrow. Thanks again for the pointer.
#35296 by henryk
Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:29 am
I'm in 203 area and have had no problem dialing in-state, but it is a pita to have to dial 10 digits for local calls.
#35299 by murphy
Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:46 am
henryk wrote:I'm in 203 area and have had no problem dialing in-state, but it is a pita to have to dial 10 digits for local calls.

Get used to it. My house is in three different area codes.
I have had to dial 10 digits for local calls for at least the last decade.