Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#83702 by ameneses54
Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:00 am
The link with the instructions, do not refer to an integrated modem/router as the 2Wire and as such are confusing.
In any case there is an option to assign a computer to the DMZ, but how?
When I chose DMZplus, I have to choose a computer. On the list there is no OOMA so I really don't know which computer to choose. I think this is very important and I'm stuck. An unknown was chosen by default
There is an option to enter an IP address, but which would be the OOMA?

I don't understand why all the problems, it should be a simple procedure.
I'd like to know the policies of the company for returning the OOMA for a refund.
I'm not an expert in networks and it gets harder each time a new advice is posted.
SKYPE VOIP is much simpler and reliable.
:cry: :cry:
#83706 by thunderbird
Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:56 am
ameneses54 wrote:The link with the instructions, do not refer to an integrated modem/router as the 2Wire and as such are confusing.
In any case there is an option to assign a computer to the DMZ, but how?
When I chose DMZplus, I have to choose a computer. On the list there is no OOMA so I really don't know which computer to choose. I think this is very important and I'm stuck. An unknown was chosen by default
There is an option to enter an IP address, but which would be the OOMA?

I don't understand why all the problems, it should be a simple procedure.
I'd like to know the policies of the company for returning the OOMA for a refund.
I'm not an expert in networks and it gets harder each time a new advice is posted.
SKYPE VOIP is much simpler and reliable.
:cry: :cry:

Procedure to find out which one is the Ooma device and IP address.

You can temporarily remove all of the network cables connected to the Modem/Router LAN ports, leaving only the Ooma device Internet port connected to one of the Router LAN ports using a network cable.

Temporarily connect a computer with a network cable from the Ooma Home port to the wired LAN port of the computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in your computer, if turned on in your computer.

Remove power from the Modem/Router, the Ooma Device, and the computer.
Repower the Modem/Router, when the modem router is done rebooting, repower the Ooma device, when the Ooma is done booting, repower the computer.

1. The only device showing in the router, in step 13 should be the Ooma device. You will probably only see an IP address without a name.
2. To double check, type http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages opens.

Click on Status. Under Device Status, Network, TO INTERNET port:, it should show Connected and the IP address that you previously saw in your Router, step 13. The IP address that you see here in Status is the IP address that you place in the Router's DMZ Plus.
#83983 by ameneses54
Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:42 pm
Dear Sir,
Even though I don't know how my security is affected, assigning the OOMA unit to the DMZ zone seems to have solved the voice and quality of connection completely.
Currently,in addition to assigning the OOMA to the DMZ I'm using the "built in"configuration and up and down speeds 1000KbPs over my recorded limit.
To sum things up, could you explain why the current configuration is optimal for my Uverse 2Wire router/modem and if I should tweak or revert any settings.

Thank you
Arturo
#83985 by thunderbird
Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:57 pm
ameneses54 wrote:Dear Sir,
Even though I don't know how my security is affected, assigning the OOMA unit to the DMZ zone seems to have solved the voice and quality of connection completely.
Currently,in addition to assigning the OOMA to the DMZ I'm using the "built in"configuration and up and down speeds 1000KbPs over my recorded limit.
To sum things up, could you explain why the current configuration is optimal for my Uverse 2Wire router/modem and if I should tweak or revert any settings.
Thank you
Arturo

If you are using Internet and virus security on your computers, you should be okay. There are probably tens of thousands of Ooma customer using the DMZ for their Ooma device to operate properly and I have never seen one post where anyone said there was a problem. I have seen recommendations to place the Ooma device in the DMZ in year 2008, very near Ooma's beginning.

With the Ooma device in the router's DMZ, it electronically places the Ooma Device directly behind the Modem. Normally the QoS settings for this configuration are 80% of the measured upload and download speeds as measured by http://www.speedtest.net/. Right now I'd leave it like is and try it for a while.
#83987 by ameneses54
Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:31 pm
Thanks for the reply.
Although my current configuration seems OK, why is the 80% option considered better and also, isn't it considered the "optimal" place for the OOMA between the modem and router?
The point is I just want it at its best and leave it there.
Please advise.
#83988 by thunderbird
Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:43 pm
ameneses54 wrote:Thanks for the reply.
Although my current configuration seems OK, why is the 80% option considered better.
The point is I just want it at its best and leave it there.
Please advise.

With the Modem-Ooma-Router setup (Electronically), which you now have with your Ooma device in DMZ-Plus, Ooma recommends 80%.

When using the 80% bandwidth for the Ooma Device, it leaves some bandwidth for other devices on home's LAN, so that the Ooma phone system can be used, along with a device like a computer, at the same time, when someone is using the Ooma phone system.

But for some people this setting doesn't work. So you just have to try and see what works for you.
#84035 by tomcat
Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:25 am
thunderbird wrote:With the Modem-Ooma-Router setup (Electronically), which you now have with your Ooma device in DMZ-Plus, Ooma recommends 80%.

Even with the Ooma in the DMZ, you still have the setup of modem-router-ooma and the bandwidth settings in the ooma don't come into play. For the QoS settings to be effective the PC network would have to be connected to the ooma's HOME port and all internet traffic passing through the ooma. I suspect ameneses54 still has their network connected directly to the router which bypasses the ooma, and its QoS settings, for internet traffic.

ameneses54 wrote:Thanks for the reply.
Although my current configuration seems OK, why is the 80% option considered better and also, isn't it considered the "optimal" place for the OOMA between the modem and router?
The point is I just want it at its best and leave it there.
Please advise.

I don't know if it is (still) considered optimal, but I would certainly recommend this approach before I would suggest putting the ooma in the DMZ. But, to each his/her own. For the sake of additional reading let me provide this link... viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11131
#84039 by thunderbird
Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:20 am
There are probably tens of thousands of Ooma customers using their router DMZ for their Ooma device to operate properly.

I have seen forum recommendations to place the Ooma device in the DMZ, in year 2008, very near Ooma's beginning.

I have never seen one post where anyone said there was a problem.

If you are using Internet and virus security, like Norton Internet Security, with the Norton Internet Security Network Security Map properly configured, with the Ooma IP "Trust Level" set to Restricted, on each of your computers, when placing the Ooma device in the DMZ, you will be okay. I have tried to access Ooma Setup through port forwarding using the reserved IP Ooma address that is in my DMZ. Unless Norton Internet Security is disabled, Norton blocks any Ooma LAN traffic to/from any other device on my LAN. I can't access Ooma Setup until I temporarily disable Norton Internet Security.
#84082 by tomcat
Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:29 am
thunderbird wrote:There are probably tens of thousands of Ooma customers using their router DMZ for their Ooma device to operate properly.

Would you mind stating the source of your data? I'd be interested in reading this documentation.


thunderbird wrote:If you are using Internet and virus security, like Norton Internet Security, with the Norton Internet Security Network Security Map properly configured, with the Ooma IP "Trust Level" set to Restricted, on each of your computers, when placing the Ooma device in the DMZ, you will be okay. I have tried to access Ooma Setup through port forwarding using the reserved IP Ooma address that is in my DMZ. Unless Norton Internet Security is disabled, Norton blocks any Ooma LAN traffic to/from any other device on my LAN. I can't access Ooma Setup until I temporarily disable Norton Internet Security.

Finally, you are acknowledging that by using the DMZ you are, in essence, weakening the very security a router/firewall provides and putting the rest of your network at risk. Are you not? Why else would you suggest the need to beef up the security of your LAN devices and protect them from each other?


I think you have proved our point. However, if you wish to foolishly continue advocating the use of the DMZ, you should also include your paragraph above letting the user know that they will have to take additional steps to protect the rest of their network. The user needs to know the risks involved in order to decide if your remedy is right for them. That is all I am asking.
#84085 by ameneses54
Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:09 am
Considering that allocating the OOMA to the DMZ is the only option that has worked for me,I really don't have much on the table, except loose $200 and trash the OOMA.

Arturo

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests