Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#33221 by hutbay
Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:43 am
Hello,

I know this is a small concern given so many point of failures with voip.

This my set up: Cable Modem[SB5101] => Router[wrt54g] =>[connected with a long 25' Ethernet cable] ooma hub => Panasonic DECT 6

So just to simulate what happens if there is a network outage, i tried unplugging the Ethernet cable. Omma tab was blue for several minutes I tested and it even gave me a dial tone. I had to 'reboot' the hub to make it realize that the it wasn't connected to internet. I then plugged the Ethernet cable back in and the omma didn't recognize the active connection, it took a 'reboot' of the hub to recognize the internet presence.

However, plugging back the cable before the reboot the first time worked as it made the call.

Is this a known issue? Has someone with the same set up has this issue? How about someone who has the omma hub infront of the router and directly behind the modem?
Last edited by hutbay on Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
#33226 by murphy
Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:55 am
My hub is behind my router.
Disconnected internet cable from modem port.
Two minutes later the tab on the hub went red.
Called the phone number on the hub and my cell phone rang.
Reconnected the internet cable to the hub and waited two minutes.
Called my hub number and it rang.

Works just like it is supposed to work.
#33280 by TechNoid665
Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:37 pm
My Ooma Hub is also behind my router.

Unplugged Ethernet cable from Ooma Hub. After several minutes blue light turned to red (flashing I think).

Waited a few minutes then plugged the Ethernet cable back into the Ooma Hub. Within 15 seconds red light went blue, then I placed a successful test call.
#33310 by WayneDsr
Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:22 pm
hutbay wrote:Hello,

I know this is a small concern given so many point of failures with voip.

This my set up: Cable Modem[SB5101] => Router[wrt54g] =>[connected with a long 25' Ethernet cable] ooma hub => Panasonic DECT 6

So just to simulate what happens if there is a network outage, i tried unplugging the Ethernet cable. Omma tab was blue for several minutes I tested and it even gave me a dial tone. I had to 'reboot' the hub to make it realize that the it wasn't connected to internet. I then plugged the Ethernet cable back in and the omma didn't recognize the active connection, it took a 'reboot' of the hub to recognize the internet presence.

However, plugging back the cable before the reboot the first time worked as it made the call.

Is this a known issue? Has someone with the same set up has this issue? How about someone who has the omma hub infront of the router and directly behind the modem?

Do you happen to have your hub integrated with your landline?
Or have a landline still in operation?

Wayne
#33325 by WayneDsr
Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:11 pm
hutbay wrote:Wayne,

Yes, I have my temporary number and waiting for my number to be ported.

If the hub is plugged into your house wall jack (via WALL port on the hub) and you have an active landline, when ooma goes offline, either a power outage at your house or a network outage, your landline will take over as a backup. You will notice the difference when you don't hear the ooma "jingle" before the dialtone. So yes, you will still get dial tone and will still be able to call out even of the ooma tab is red.

Not sure if this is your situation, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents.

Wayne
#33346 by hutbay
Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:58 am
WayneDsr wrote:
hutbay wrote:Wayne,

Yes, I have my temporary number and waiting for my number to be ported.

If the hub is plugged into your house wall jack (via WALL port on the hub) and you have an active landline, when ooma goes offline, either a power outage at your house or a network outage, your landline will take over as a backup. You will notice the difference when you don't hear the ooma "jingle" before the dialtone. So yes, you will still get dial tone and will still be able to call out even of the ooma tab is red.

Not sure if this is your situation, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents.

Wayne

Thanks everyone, it takes a bit for ooma to recognize outage (little over 2 min) and since i'm waiting for number porting, ooma uses the backup landline.
#35120 by eldiosyeldiablo
Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:29 pm
I just had tech support, two different reps over two different phone calls, tell me that the backup landline only works if you don't go through the ooma telo device.
Ie if your internet goes down use your other phone that is connected directly to you local phone provider.

This document is misleading and so is their sale reps. I called sale to get their spin on it.
https://www.ooma.com/support/knowledgeba ... -goes-down