Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#1720 by kagy
Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:34 pm
Since installing Ooma, about once a day now the phone will ring and no one is there when I answer. Since I use (for now) a land-line backup with no caller-ID, I don't get caller ID on incoming calls, so don't know who it was trying to call in. *69 doesn't work either, because the caller ID is not known.

I'm wondering if Ooma is preventing someone from getting through to me? I have no numbers in my blacklist.
#1729 by Mojo
Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:39 pm
Right now the blacklist feature doesn't work with landline phone numbers, so it's either the caller is hanging up, or it might be something else -- do you know approx. when it last happened (day/time)? I can check in your device logs for any anomalies.
#1733 by kagy
Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:31 pm
Mojo wrote:Right now the blacklist feature doesn't work with landline phone numbers, so it's either the caller is hanging up, or it might be something else -- do you know approx. when it last happened (day/time)? I can check in your device logs for any anomalies.


The last time would have been today (Jan 5) at approximately 11AM PST. Sorry, the time is a best guess. Rang twice and no one there.

Agree that the simplest explanation is that someone is hanging up before I answer, but it's happened three times now since installing Ooma on Dec. 30. Don't usually get these kinds of calls.

Thanks for looking into this. If no one else is experiencing a similar problem I'll have to assume the hang-up option.
#1762 by kagy
Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:45 am
Just happened again! Today, Jan. 6 @ 9:44AM PST. Phone rang, no one there when answered! Please look into this! If Ooma is not connecting my callers, something has to be done.

Here are calls I suspect from my own call log:
Dec 30 @ 5:12PM
Jan 03 @ 7:24PM
Jan 04 @ 4:24PM
Jan 02 @ 6:22PM
Jan 04 @ 6:50PM
Jan 04 @ 7:43PM
Jan 05 @ 11:55AM
Jan 06 @ 9:43AM

Just spoke with Tech support and they say this is a problem caused by a 'voltage difference' between Ooma and my land line. Will go away when I port my number over and do away with the land line. Still, interesting information, given that many Ooma users intend to keep their land line.
#2704 by brwilliams
Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:31 pm
kagy wrote:
Mojo wrote:Right now the blacklist feature doesn't work with landline phone numbers, so it's either the caller is hanging up, or it might be something else -- do you know approx. when it last happened (day/time)? I can check in your device logs for any anomalies.


The last time would have been today (Jan 5) at approximately 11AM PST. Sorry, the time is a best guess. Rang twice and no one there.

Agree that the simplest explanation is that someone is hanging up before I answer, but it's happened three times now since installing Ooma on Dec. 30. Don't usually get these kinds of calls.

Thanks for looking into this. If no one else is experiencing a similar problem I'll have to assume the hang-up option.


I'm not sure I buy the explanation. My number was just ported this week & I am having this same problem. My problems started as soon as I dropped my land line.

The phone rings, I pick up my cordless phone, and either no one is there or I just get the ooma dial tone. So, I called myself to our home phone with my mobile phone. When I pick up the call, no one is there, and I am unable to leave a message on the outgoing call.

This is a serious problem. I have fooled with the call setting times, etc., with no luck. My wife wants us to leave ooma and go back to ATT.

Any help?
#2786 by kagy
Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:54 am
brwilliams wrote:I'm not sure I buy the explanation. My number was just ported this week & I am having this same problem. My problems started as soon as I dropped my land line.

The phone rings, I pick up my cordless phone, and either no one is there or I just get the ooma dial tone. So, I called myself to our home phone with my mobile phone. When I pick up the call, no one is there, and I am unable to leave a message on the outgoing call.

This is a serious problem. I have fooled with the call setting times, etc., with no luck. My wife wants us to leave ooma and go back to ATT.

Any help?


Sorry to hear about this. I haven't had any problems since my number was ported.
#2815 by brwilliams
Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:01 pm
As an update. It seems that maybe my problem with the dropped calls is associated with my scout. As soon as I unplug my scout, the calls pick up fine. As soon as I plug the scout back in, the problem returns. I have an email into tech support, but if anyone has any insight I'd appreciate it.
#3064 by brwilliams
Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:53 pm
brwilliams wrote:As an update. It seems that maybe my problem with the dropped calls is associated with my scout. As soon as I unplug my scout, the calls pick up fine. As soon as I plug the scout back in, the problem returns. I have an email into tech support, but if anyone has any insight I'd appreciate it.


As an update to my previous post. I have discovered what the problem was. The wire going from my wall jack to my modem was a "2 telephone" wire used for jacks that are configured for 2 lines. I switched this wire with a traditional single line wire and the problems immediately disappeared. My hub, scout and system now works the way it is intended.
#3080 by Soundjudgment
Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:42 am
Way to go!!
#3100 by kagy
Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:38 am
brwilliams wrote:As an update to my previous post. I have discovered what the problem was. The wire going from my wall jack to my modem was a "2 telephone" wire used for jacks that are configured for 2 lines. I switched this wire with a traditional single line wire and the problems immediately disappeared. My hub, scout and system now works the way it is intended.



How did you do this? Certainly you didn't rewire your house!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 9 guests