Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#30066 by nancycmcdonald
Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:52 am
I set up my Telo yesterday but wonder if I'm still using my land line during the porting process. My voicemail messages are still coming to my voicemailbox with Fairpoint even though I downgraded to no voicemail, no caller id, and no call waiting yesterday. But I did have to call them twice as the first order didn't happen. I suppose the second order has not happened either. Do I need to use an answering machine during the porting process? Is the good voice quality due to continued land line service? I am making long distance calls on the phone that is connected to the Telo and hoping that is working.
Thanks for you help.
#31008 by Tony
Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:15 pm
To have the Ooma VM answer your calls, make sure to set the Voicemail pick up time (my.ooma.com) to be less than the pick up time on your Fairpoint VM.

No, you do not need an answering machine during the porting process, the Ooma VM will always work.

Outgoing long distance calls go on the Internet, once your number is ported, all local and LD calls will have the same voice quality as what you currently experience on LD calls.
#32594 by nancycmcdonald
Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:24 am
Now that I'm ported and waiting for my land line to be disconnected, there is a loud buzz during calls and an occasional delay. Other posts mention a three-pronged power supply as a fix for this. Are those available to everyone?
#32639 by Tony
Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:44 am
Hi nancycmcdonald,

I could not locate your ooma account. Please email me your ooma device phone number or MAC address, so we can look into the issue you are experiencing.