Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#26273 by teloHouston
Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:41 pm
I just set up my Telo (replacement) today and noticed that when calling the home, I will lose rings. I will hear 2 rings and then nothing, then 3 or 4. When the home answering machine picks up after 4 rings, sometimes I can leave a message and sometimes I still hear ringing on the cellphone.

Any ideas? I have tried this with an AT&T cellphone and a Verizon with the same results.

This is a problem because neither my home answering machine nor the telo voicemail will pick up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
#26280 by hpepper
Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:02 pm
teloHouston wrote:...and sometimes I still hear ringing on the cellphone.

I am confused - how do you have this setup? Are you using Google Voice? ...or when you say cellphone, you mean a cordless phone?

Could you please supply more detail of your setup?

Thanks.
#26298 by teloHouston
Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:53 pm
Clarification:

I use my cellphone to see if my landline (Ooma) is functioning properly. I call the landline and hear ringing through the earpiece of the cellphone and ringing on the landline. Then the landline stops ringing, but I still hear ringing through the cellphone ear piece. Then the landline continues ringing. When/if the home answering machine picks up (it takes 4 continuous rings) then a) I can leave a message if I hear the message through the cellphone earpiece or b) the cellphone earpiece is still ringing and I cannot leave a message.

It's really an odd situation. I've tried the same setup with the Telo as the voicemail and unless I get 4 continuous rings on the landline, I won't reach the voicemail even if I hear 20+ rings through the cellphone earpiece.

What could cause this?
#26303 by murphy
Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:09 pm
Do you have anything other than the default ring set up in My Ooma?
My phone sounds strange with special rings set up when it tries to play it's built in ring tones.
#26305 by teloHouston
Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:17 pm
That's a good thought - I have a very basic setup. Just after I plugged the Ooma in I setup voicemail with the Telo and then called it. The first time I got through, the second time I observed missing rings and never got through to voicemail after 20 some rings through the earpiece of the cellphone.

After two strikes and my new understanding of the Telo basic service plan maybe Ooma is not for me?
#26324 by WayneDsr
Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:52 pm
Do you have your Telo configured to work WITH your landline (provisioned) or WITHOUT?

Wayne
#26325 by WayneDsr
Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:53 pm
And, as a second thought, try a different phone, preferably a wired phone and see if the ring is still off.

Wayne
#26326 by Groundhound
Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:59 pm
teloHouston wrote:That's a good thought - I have a very basic setup. Just after I plugged the Ooma in I setup voicemail with the Telo and then called it. The first time I got through, the second time I observed missing rings and never got through to voicemail after 20 some rings through the earpiece of the cellphone.

If you answer inbound calls to your Telo, how is the call quality?
#26347 by teloHouston
Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:50 am
Thank you for your suggestions. It is set up to work with my landline. I have not experienced this problem with my landline before. Also, since it is not using voip for inbound I can eliminate broadband as an option. My best guess is that this is a faulty replacement. It was noticably a used product which indicates that it was refurbished. I've never had good luck with repackaged broken products. It's unfortunate - it's a great looking device with a lot of nice features.

Thanks for all the support-it's a great forum!