Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#19083 by Lola
Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:42 am
I have recently ported my phone number from verizon on 8/26. I was interested in propagating the ooma dialtone thru the house wiring in order to feed all the phones in the house. So now its been 11 days and I still have a dial tone. I called verizon and they said that I keep the dial tone even though i dont have service and I am not being charged. She mentioned the dial tone can only be used to call 911 or verizon to order service.

I dont know if I should be happy that i have free 911 backup, but doesnt that mean I cant use the house wires to spread the ooma dialtone? or at least not spread the dialtone AND spread the HPNA(?) or whatever I need to use an extra scout in the home office. Im kind of bummed she said the dialtone would stay there.

Note: I dont have DSL through them.
Last edited by Lola on Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
#19087 by WayneDsr
Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:56 am
If you disconnect the main telco line from the house wiring you would be able to connect ooma to your phone jacks. It usually just requires unplugging a phone jack in your telco box outside.

Wayne
#19088 by southsound
Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:08 am
Not a problem and actually a benefit. Most homes have multiple pairs of wires running between the phone jacks. The way to check this out is to unscrew the wall plates and check what is behind them. Most likely you will have at least 6 wires. The white/blue pair are wired to green/red connections of your jack. If you have a white/orange pair, it may or may not be wired to the other two screws in the jack. This pair is line 2. There may also be a third white/green pair and even a forth white/brown pair that are not connected at all.

Your goal is to connect up the ooma to use a separate pair for bringing ooma dialtone throughout the house and if you are using a scout, a third pair for hub wall port to scout wall port connection. This will give you the cleanest sound and the least problems.

First question - do you haved DSL or are you using cable for your Inernet connection? Then, if your network interface box (small grey box on the outside of the house) is accessable, open it up and determine how the lines are connected (wires with modular plugs or swingout connectors) and how many are present in the box.

Post what you find in the network interface box, how many pairs you have connected to your phone jacks, and your internet source and I'll have some suggestions (and possibly more questions).

<<Just saw Wayne's post, but the questions still are good to help us>> :cool:
#19113 by Lola
Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:27 pm
Thank you Wayne, and thank you southsound. BTW, I currently live in the Seattle area, can you believe I have never heard of Harstine Island, I truly dont get out much, LOL!

I unscrewed the wall plate from the wall, which I had never done before. there are 4 screws on the wall outlet plate, top right screw had blue wire on right and red wire on left, top left screw had green wire on right and blue/white wire on left. Lower right screw had only one yellow wire and lower left screw had only one black wire.

I have cable HSI through comcast, no DSL. And regarding the outside box I live in a duplex townhome and those boxes are on my neighbors side behing his front garden, so I need to work on my courage to do that, cause i am intimidated by my neighbor. Are those normally open for all to use. Ill see if I can take a peak during work hours when hes gone.

I guess I am very surprised Verizon's dial tone is still there, have not heard about turning off a phone and keeping the dial tone for free, nice for a power outage. I guess I might just keep it alive in the house and redistribute the phones and fax for now.
#19116 by southsound
Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:56 pm
Lola wrote: I unscrewed the wall plate from the wall, which I had never done before. there are 4 screws on the wall outlet plate, top right screw had blue wire on right and red wire on left, top left screw had green wire on right and blue/white wire on left. Lower right screw had only one yellow wire and lower left screw had only one black wire.

I have cable HSI through comcast, no DSL. And regarding the outside box I live in a duplex townhome and those boxes are on my neighbors side behing his front garden, so I need to work on my courage to do that, cause i am intimidated by my neighbor. Are those normally open for all to use. Ill see if I can take a peak during work hours when hes gone.

No problem about not knowing where Harstine Island is - when I moved from Northern California to Redmond to work for Microsoft I had a coworker who lived in Grapeview and never told me about Harstine. When I retired in 98 I found the island on the Internet. Quite place, no major businesses, lots of trees, and yes, we have a bridge. I am blessed to live in the middle of 15 acres of evergreens.

The network interface box is actually mandated so a consumer can open it up to check if a phone problem is on the inside of the house or a telco problem. But since you don't have DSL it makes it easy to make some changes if you need to. For now you probably don't need to bother with it.

Are there additional wires behind those jacks? Most times if they are not connected, the tech will just wrap them around the cable, leaving them full length. Count the additional wire pairs. You might find an orange/white pair and also a green/white pair. How comfortable are you with doing some low voltage wiring? The goal will be have the landline dialtone on one pair, the ooma dialtone on another pair, and the hub/scout connection on a third. How many outlets are we talking about where you would want to have ooma dialtone (and a regular phone) and how many scouts do you think you'll use? After the answers we can strategize on how to accomplish what you need.
#19117 by Groundhound
Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:01 pm
Interesting that they say you have 911 service with this dial tone even after the number port. I thought that e911 associated your phone number with your address, so I wonder how it works in this case? Perhaps your local 911 authority will allow you to test it to see if they get an accurate address sent.
Lola wrote:I have recently ported my phone number from verizon on 8/26. I was interested in propagating the ooma dialtone thru the house wiring in order to feed all the phones in the house. So now its been 11 days and I still have a dial tone. I called verizon and they said that I keep the dial tone even though i dont have service and I am not being charged. She mentioned the dial tone can only be used to call 911 or verizon to order service.

I dont know if I should be happy that i have free 911 backup, but doesnt that mean I cant use the house wires to spread the ooma dialtone? or at least not spread the dialtone AND spread the HPNA(?) or whatever I need to use an extra scout in the home office. Im kind of bummed she said the dialtone would stay there.

Note: I dont have DSL through them.