Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#18930 by Lola
Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:24 pm
i was wondering if there is anywhere a listing of things that ooma charges for? I know porting is $40 and changing displayed name on caller id they charge for, I was wondering if they charge to change your account to another device (a telo?) or if they charge for changing secondary phone number (I might have picked the wrong calling area). It would be handy to have a list.
#19566 by bw1
Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:29 am
From the Terms and Conditions:

(d) Enhanced Services: From time to time, ooma may offer its customers additional enhanced features and services for a one-time or monthly fee. The specific enhanced services and associated fees will be posted on our web site at https://www.ooma.com/rates/ and are incorporated by reference herein. You agree not to use or access such services except during the free trial period. Should you continue to use or access such services beyond the expiration of the trial period, you will be deemed to have subscribed to such services and may be charged the associated fees for use of such services. Failure to pay such associated charges may result in suspension, temporary cancellation, or termination of your account without notice. ooma may choose to modify, extend, alter, or cancel enhanced services at any time without notice.
#19802 by ggilman
Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:06 am
Interesting to see there are some minor price differences between the hub-only system (at least from Costco) vs traditional hub/scout system.

Most interestingly is the "Regulatory Recovery Fee" of $11.75 per year.

I know there has been discussion of Ooma having to start charging tax but didn't realize they had anywhere yet. Apparently on the Costco systems, they have. It was bound to happen at some point.
#19922 by jstjohnz
Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:07 pm
ggilman wrote:Interesting to see there are some minor price differences between the hub-only system (at least from Costco) vs traditional hub/scout system.

I know there has been discussion of Ooma having to start charging tax but didn't realize they had anywhere yet. Apparently on the Costco systems, they have. It was bound to happen at some point.

Just to be clear, this is in no way shape or form a tax. It is simply a fee that ooma chooses to charge, basically a thinly veiled way of being able to claim "free" and still charge for it.

This is exactly why I am leaving Vonage after several years. Their $24.95 service winds up being over $31 after they add in their various "fees".
#19963 by ggilman
Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:24 pm
jstjohnz wrote:
ggilman wrote:Interesting to see there are some minor price differences between the hub-only system (at least from Costco) vs traditional hub/scout system.

Just to be clear, this is in no way shape or form a tax. It is simply a fee that ooma chooses to charge, basically a thinly veiled way of being able to claim "free" and still charge for it.

This is exactly why I am leaving Vonage after several years. Their $24.95 service winds up being over $31 after they add in their various "fees".

Ooma is $11.75/year as compared to Vonage's $70/year so it's really not that bad. Besides, it's right there on the page, not suddenly showing up in a bill. I haven't seen a box from Costco. I'd assume they list the $11.75 fee on the box.

As for tax vs. non-tax, from a number of things I've read recently, I believe Ooma is attempting to recover taxes which they are having to pay to the govt & it doesn't appear from the price list that they are attempting to start collecting from pre-existing accounts, just new Costco purchases so unless they don't put something on the Costco box, you can't say they are hiding anything. I don't have anything I can quote back in reference to this being based on govt taxes, but the sources I read were very reliable.

I don't disagree with your general assessment. Before I changed to Ooma, I analyzed all of the "fees" on my AT&T bill. Though written up as "tax-sounding" fees, a bit of research showed most of them were not fees collected by the government & just a way to squeeze out extra $ while advertising a lower price. However, given the current evidence with Ooma, I don't think we can really complain about it too much at this time. The fee is there in black and white & other than looking at my old monthly bill, I don't even have a clue as to where I'd find all of the little fees AT&T was charging me each month. All they list is the base monthly price.
#30756 by mikey6568
Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:15 pm
Regarding any fees charged it might be helpful to view info on the Gore Tax. Here's one of many links http://www.rightgrrl.com/algorithm/gore3.html Had to explain this one while employed at AT&T til I was absolutely sick of it. We were instructed by mgmt to not refer to it as the Gore Tax but as (in no certain words) a fee chaged to fund internet or other such telecommunications svcs in schools and libraries.