Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#17123 by its2cansam
Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:27 am
Greetings, Fellow oomers!

I just installed the ooma hub last week and everything's working fine...but something weird happens when I retrieve voicemail messages.

Every message I have retrieved so far has been exactly like this one:

"<DIAL TONE> Please hang up and try your call again. If you need assistance, dial your operator. Please hang up now. This is a recording. <DISCONNECT TONE>"

What's interesting is that when someone calls, they are able to leave a message as normal...it's just when I go to retrieve them, I get the message listed above.

My setup is as follows...

Internet Service: broadband cable (WOW!)
Landline: no
Ported Number: yes (in progress)
Temporary Number: no
Configuration: Non-Standard (Cable Modem -> Router -> ooma Hub)

NOTE - The ooma hub sits behind my router, instead in front like the standard configuration shows in the manual. On the back of the ooma hub, the MODEM port connects into the router, WALL port connects into phone port of cable modem, and PHONE port connects into a wall port so all my current phones throughout the house can be used.

I think this issue has something to do with the fact that my ooma hub is connected to my cable modem while I wait for my number to get ported over. I am pretty sure that I will need to disconnect the line from the hub to the modem once my number does get ported over.

I will do a follow-up once that happens, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears...
#17127 by dtalwar
Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:46 am
I am not sure how Ooma is even ringing when your number is not yet ported over. Disconnect the cable coming into the Wall port of the Hub from your Cable modem and see if you get a dial-tone.
#17246 by its2cansam
Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:59 pm
Thanks for the post.

I disconnected the cable from the WALL port of the ooma hub and got the flashing red tab. Subsequently, I got no dial tone.

Just to test, I went ahead and plugged the ooma hub directly into the cable modem (MODEM port to Ethernet port, effectively eliminating the wireless router) just to see if I could duplicate the issue. After doing a test call to the house phone, it did exactly the same thing (Dial Tone, funny message, Disconnect Tone....). Again, I disconnected the cable from the WALL port of the ooma hub and got the flashing red tab and no dial tone.

(sigh) ...looks like I am going to have to wait until my current phone service provider gives up my number to ooma to verify if this quirk is a result of (literally) still being connected to my phone service provider.
#17248 by dtalwar
Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:04 pm
Yes ... you just have to wait it out until the number is ported over. What you were unknowingly using is a feature of Ooma that lets you fall back on a landline in case there is a problem with Ooma. So, when you were receiving/making calls, even though you were using a phone connected to Ooma, it was still using your current provider.
#17249 by its2cansam
Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:07 pm
Sounds good....thanks again for your help, I appreciate it!

...now if I could only make WOW! speed up the number porting process...
#18894 by its2cansam
Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:53 pm
UPDATE:

woohoo! My number was finally ported over (after 2 weeks) and I can now retrieve voice mails from both the hub and from the lounge!

I disconnected the cable connecting the WALL port to the cable modem and the blue light on the ooma hub stayed blue.

The first call I am making is to WOW! to cancel my phone service!