Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#17010 by charlus
Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:24 pm
I've had the Ooma for 2 weeks now and am still in the testing process before porting my number and giving up my other line (DSL and Voice through Earthlink). Ooma is now on a separate and dedicated cable internet modem.
It works fine with local and long distance with a good voice quality.I did the VoiP test and all figures are good except a TCP which is over 100ms. The problem: When placing an international call I have a normal ring (following the announcement about credit and time left) but when the party answers: Total silence, the line becomes dead. I don't hear anything and the party doesn't hear anything either. This happens 9 times out of 10. If and when connected the quality is good.
Receiving calls: no problem.
Has anyone a clue about this ?
#17023 by dtalwar
Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:55 pm
Is this a specific country? Specific city? Specific number? Unless it is a general problem with all of your international calling, Ooma may have issues with one of their partners. They may need the specific details around dates and times of your call when you call them.
#17173 by mwilson
Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:20 pm
We got ooma primarily for the international calling feature. We have had ooma for about a week but I have not been able to call anyone internationally yet. We specifically want to call Japan.
#17178 by atici
Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:00 pm
International calling has a lot of problems unfortunately. This was discussed in the forums. I think you have much better chance of success with Google Voice than ooma. It also has better rates and quality.
#17415 by charlus
Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:28 am
dtalwar wrote:Is this a specific country? Specific city? Specific number? .

I am presently making calls in different countries, at different numbers and different times to see if there is a pattern with the denied calls or it's just that it doesn't work well. I will post the log when it will allow some deduction.
#17416 by dtalwar
Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:04 am
I call UK and India and both seem to work fine ... yes, there have been a couple of disconnected calls but I have experienced that with other providers as well. When I read the above posts, something occurred to me and this may be worth a try-- try disbaling the Ooma Connection tone in the Lounge if you haven't already done so and see if it changes anything.
#21366 by charlus
Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:05 pm
I have found that the problem occurs mainly with European phone # running on internet (like Ooma). Regular landlines do not seem to be affected by the problem. Any clue?????????
#23599 by Jennifer
Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:31 pm
I just got Ooma yesterday, I am trying to place a phone call to China. From my side, it sounds like no one's picking up the phone, from my parents side, no one's answering.

Anyone knows the way to get around it?
#23602 by Aveamantium
Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:37 pm
Jennifer wrote:I just got Ooma yesterday, I am trying to place a phone call to China. From my side, it sounds like no one's picking up the phone, from my parents side, no one's answering.

Anyone knows the way to get around it?

Sorry, but I don't know anything about internation calls... However, are local calls working? If they are then we can at least eliminate networking issues.
#24102 by charlus
Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:33 am
Calls within the (1) area work perfectly so the problem doesn't seem to be the network. Denied calls happen at any time so it's not due to the jammed network between US in Europe which happen when financial places exchange all their data at closing time (around 10am EST)