Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#15065 by Locke
Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:19 am
Hi, does anyone know why a certain number cannot be connected with Ooma? I tried to call this 24hr customer service number to cancel my current VOIP service, however, when I called in with my Ooma phone service, I received an error to tell me that the number cannot be dialed and please check your number and try again. However, when I tried to call the exact same number with my current voip service, it works and connects through. Thanks.
#15066 by ggilman
Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:30 am
They recognized that you were calling from an ooma device and didn't want you to switch so they didn't answer. :)

Just a guess, but it would seem possible for their 24-hour number to be a virtual-number in their system with access only to those calling from the system. Have you ever tried connecting from another phone system to that number before? Was the number a full regular-looking 10 digit number?
#15067 by Locke
Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:42 am
Hi, it's a local number with their office based in-state. I tried with both my current voip phone service and my cell phone and both worked. It just seemed odd that the Ooma phone didn't work. It's actually 2 different numbers all starting with the same 3 digits. I tried calling their normal customer service that had a different first 3 digits and it worked, but that was not their 24hr phone line and so I got this recorded message to try again during normal business hours.
#15069 by ggilman
Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:36 am
And yes, looking at the time stamp on my last two posts, I don't sleep much, especially considering I've been at work for 40 minutes. :(
#15071 by gregg098
Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:12 am
Give customer service a call. I had an issue where my folks couldn't get ahold of me. They would dial *82 then my number and get someone elses voice mail. Ooma kept saying it was Verizon's (my parents' phone company) fault. Well, they looked into it and there was a routing issue on the Ooma end. Anyways, without dragging on any more, just push to make their engineers look into the problem.
#15080 by bw1
Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:55 am
It sounds like a routing issue, but are you dialing 7, 10 or 11 digits?
Do you have the 10 digit dialing option checked in the lounge?

Of course, dialing 7 digits would only work if you're in the same area code.
If you're dialing with 10, have you tried dialing with 11?
#15089 by niknak
Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:50 am
...it's actually 2 different numbers all starting with the same 3 digits. I tried calling their normal customer service that had a different first 3 digits and it worked...

This sounds like a routing problem with the CLEC that ooma partners with in your area. Apparently they are unable to complete calls to that exchange.
You need to call ooma CS with the dates and times of the failed calls so that they can trace the call logs and correct the issue
#15242 by JesusG90247
Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:37 am
I like your way of thinking .... ;)

ggilman wrote:They recognized that you were calling from an ooma device and didn't want you to switch so they didn't answer. :)

Just a guess, but it would seem possible for their 24-hour number to be a virtual-number in their system with access only to those calling from the system. Have you ever tried connecting from another phone system to that number before? Was the number a full regular-looking 10 digit number?
#15484 by Locke
Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:19 pm
I called customer service and they generated a ticket for me. I've tried quite a few other numbers with the prefix 643 and they all don't work and return this 'We're sorry but the number cannot be completed as dial' etc. Oddly, all these 643-xxxx numbers are automated lines that lets you touch tone options. Has anyone else experienced similar problems? Thanks.