Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#15605 by oomg
Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:16 am
atici wrote:I believe those taxes are calculated per cent what the voip carrier charges. Since ooma charges $0, the taxes should be $0 too IMO :)

There is nothing wrong with your logic. Most taxes have some yardstick by which to measure the tax. For example, here in California we have both sales tax and excise tax on gasoline (and booze too). The excise tax is generally measured by volume. The sales tax is measured by the selling price including State (and Federal) excise tax.

California (and quite likely some other states as well) require some retailers to charge sales tax on the MSRP of some items which require the buyer to purchase their service as a condition precedent to the purchase of the item (e.g. cell phones), irrespective of the fact that the item is readily available at a lower price. Total rip as far as I am concerned. No wonder we are broke.
#16132 by lilolme2121
Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:31 pm
southsound wrote:
gregg098 wrote:I know this has been discussed a bit before, but I just ran across article:

http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/rich-tehrani/ip-communications/ooma-telo-coming-soon.html

The paragraph in question is this:

This could amount to less than a $1 a month according to Rich Buchanan CMO and Tami Bhaumik VP Corporate Marketing.

Can anyone from Ooma comment on this?

I think that you might consider Rich Buchanan and Tami Bhaumik to be "from ooma." Let's put it this way, we live in a time of "tax and spend" and with all the spending, someone has to pay the bill. The Beatles had a wonderful song called "The Taxman" that pretty much described it. If we do see a tax it won't be because ooma wants to charge one. It will be because *&%!!?## elected officials have spent money until all the numbers are worn off their credit cards and now they have to find a way to pay for it.

Did I mention you probably shouldn't have gotten me started on this? Too bad I'm not on public healthcare - I could make an appointment for sometime NEXT summer to have someone in Washington decide if I needed a Valium or Prozac or if I was just too old and needed to learn about my end of life options. :shock:

I'm really and truly hoping that Comrade Obama will soon institute the breadlines !!

Let's give our hard earned tax dollars to those in life who feel that they are entitled to it !! God Bless the Motherland !!
#16186 by skellener
Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:26 am
lilolme2121 wrote:I'm really and truly hoping that Comrade Obama will soon institute the breadlines !!

Let's give our hard earned tax dollars to those in life who feel that they are entitled to it !! God Bless the Motherland !!
Please stop. Let's keep to the topic at hand (taxes and how it relates to ooma) and not turn this thread or forum into something ugly. Let's leave politics out of it. Thanks.
#16210 by oomg
Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:17 am
skellener wrote:Let's keep to the topic at hand (taxes and how it relates to ooma)... Thanks.

Kind of hard to talk taxes and not cross over into some aspect of politics. So, here is another comment. NO! ooma will not charge tax. However, ooma may be required to collect the tax and remit it to the governing authority that has imposed the tax... works just like sales tax in that sense.