Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#15032 by gregg098
Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:50 pm
I know this has been discussed a bit before, but I just ran across article:

http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/rich-tehrani/ip-communications/ooma-telo-coming-soon.html

The paragraph in question is this:

More recently as municipalities are looking to tax anything they can, have found VoIP to be a tempting target and as such Ooma may be forced to charge users monthly taxes. This could amount to less than a $1 a month according to Rich Buchanan CMO and Tami Bhaumik VP Corporate Marketing.

Can anyone from Ooma comment on this?
#15039 by southsound
Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:51 pm
gregg098 wrote:I know this has been discussed a bit before, but I just ran across article:

http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/rich-tehrani/ip-communications/ooma-telo-coming-soon.html

The paragraph in question is this:

This could amount to less than a $1 a month according to Rich Buchanan CMO and Tami Bhaumik VP Corporate Marketing.

Can anyone from Ooma comment on this?

I think that you might consider Rich Buchanan and Tami Bhaumik to be "from ooma." Let's put it this way, we live in a time of "tax and spend" and with all the spending, someone has to pay the bill. The Beatles had a wonderful song called "The Taxman" that pretty much described it. If we do see a tax it won't be because ooma wants to charge one. It will be because *&%!!?## elected officials have spent money until all the numbers are worn off their credit cards and now they have to find a way to pay for it.

Did I mention you probably shouldn't have gotten me started on this? Too bad I'm not on public healthcare - I could make an appointment for sometime NEXT summer to have someone in Washington decide if I needed a Valium or Prozac or if I was just too old and needed to learn about my end of life options. :shock:
#15040 by WayneDsr
Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:53 pm
Nice pills may be harder to come by in the near future! :-)
I'm with you Southsound.

Wayne
#15117 by StevenJohn
Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:01 am
southsound wrote:... if I needed a Valium or Prozac or if I was just too old and needed to learn about my end of life options[/color]. :shock:

Medicare Part D does not pay for Valium, but you should be able to get your Prozac. :-)

I think that "end of life" thing was a geyser from FOX Spews.

Back on topic, I am very surprised that we don't have to pay taxes already on ooma. What about the e911 tax. Is e911 tax exempt because it's VoIP? I had to pay it on AT&T.

sj
#15120 by dferrey
Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:14 am
StevenJohn wrote:Back on topic,
Thank you :)
StevenJohn wrote:I am very surprised that we don't have to pay taxes already on ooma. What about the e911 tax. Is e911 tax exempt because it's VoIP? I had to pay it on AT&T.

sj
I'm also a bit surprised. I paid it on AT&T CallVantage and Vonage charges for it as well. Unless ooma is kicking in, I suspect ooma (and us) are riding for free.
#15122 by atici
Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:36 am
I believe those taxes are calculated per cent what the voip carrier charges. Since ooma charges $0, the taxes should be $0 too IMO :)
#15140 by murphy
Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:05 pm
When I finally dropped Vonage earlier this year I was paying the following taxes on two phone lines.

Regulatory Recovery Fee $1.98
Emergency 911 Cost Recovery 1.98
Federal Program Fee 2.60
PA Sales Tax 2.55
PA State E911 Fee 2.00

Total $11.11
#15355 by BryanS
Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:13 pm
I believe you already pay a tax on the services provided by your internet provider. Isn't this just an added piece of equipment for communication over the internet? Will they charge tax on MS Messenger, Skype, or anything else that allows communication?
#15601 by oomg
Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:04 am
dferrey wrote:
StevenJohn wrote:Back on topic,
Thank you :)
StevenJohn wrote:I am very surprised that we don't have to pay taxes already on ooma. What about the e911 tax. Is e911 tax exempt because it's VoIP? I had to pay it on AT&T.

sj
I'm also a bit surprised. I paid it on AT&T CallVantage and Vonage charges for it as well. Unless ooma is kicking in, I suspect ooma (and us) are riding for free.

Shhh! Loose lips sink ships.