Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#11473 by lgtech
Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:20 pm
Hi all,

I hoping someone can suggest a way around an ooma limitation.

I have a hub and a scout, each with its own number. By design (confirmed by ooma support) if I call 1 ooma line from my other ooma line, the call goes to voice mail. Ooma designed it so that you can check voice mail from ANY phone.

Here's why this doesn't work for me...

The hub is in the main house, and the scout is in our in-law apt. The in-law apt is separate - you have to go outside to get to the in-law apt. My wife and her mom talk on the phone a lot (short, frequent calls) as they are coordinating child care for our 2 year old. Being able to use the phone between main house and the apt is critical.

What I really want is this...

Call line 1 tel number from line 1 and get line 1 voice mail.
Call line 2 tel number from line 2 and get line 2 voice mail.
Call line 2 from line 1 (or vice versa) and the other phone rings.

Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks,
LG
#11476 by murphy
Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:44 pm
This has been reported before (by me). They appeared to be alarmed that the hub line could call the scout dedicated line and get it's voice mail without having to enter it's pin. Apparently they weren't really alarmed because it has been several months since I reported it and nothing has been done.

If both phone numbers are in the same area code (mine are not) dial the last 7 digits of of the scout's number from the hub followed by the # key and it may work. I forget whether 10 digit dialing has to be enabled or disabled in the lounge for this to work.
#11486 by niknak
Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:26 pm
I was hoping someone can suggest a way around an ooma limitation...

Shot term solution could be using a cordless phone with "intercom" feature if the apt. is close enough

I agree that ooma needs to fix the basic problem you and murphy have described!
#11501 by lgtech
Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:23 am
Hi all,

Thank you all for the help! It worked!

From line 1, I dial line 2 tel number + "#" and it bypasses voice mail for the 2nd line. Awesome!

Some one should let the tech team at ooma know. The guy I spoke to on the phone (perhaps Shaun?) said "our tech sheet says this is not possible."

Thanks again!
Lawrence
#11962 by Studly
Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:53 pm
Has there been any solutions to this? I'd like to be able to call my second Ooma line too, from the first, and vice versa. It works going one way when you hit the # key after the 7 digit number, but it won't work both ways. In other words, I can call from line 1 and have it ring on line 2, but when I call from line 2 to line 1, I just get a fast busy signal.

Are there any solutions to this?
#11983 by Groundhound
Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:10 pm
Funny, mine works from line-2 to line-1 using 7 digits plus #, but not the other way around. My numbers are in different area codes and I have 10 digit dialing enabled for both.

If I call from line-1 to line-2 using 7 digits plus #, I get a number-not-in-service message. If I try it using 10 digits, it goes straight to line-2's voicemail like an outside call would if I had line-2's Do not Disturb feature enabled (it's not).