Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#9922 by bc3tech
Tue May 19, 2009 5:50 am
I have my ooma preferences set up to block unavailable callers by sending them straight to voice mail. Last night, my phone rang and the caller ID said "UNAVAILABLE" - i picked up the phone expecting ooma's call screen, but it was indeed the caller!

Any thoughts?
#9923 by scottlindner
Tue May 19, 2009 6:00 am
bc3tech wrote:I have my ooma preferences set up to block unavailable callers by sending them straight to voice mail. Last night, my phone rang and the caller ID said "UNAVAILABLE" - i picked up the phone expecting ooma's call screen, but it was indeed the caller!

Any thoughts?

I am an Ooma newbie so I can't say I know too much just yet. Do you have your Ooma configured so that calls come in through a landline but go out through Ooma? If so, it's possible you picked up before Ooma did.

My other thought is that it takes two rings for the Caller ID information to come through, but I suspect Ooma is designed to not ring the phone until it has the Caller ID information, so I'm not sure if this two ring thing could be related or not.

Cheers,
Scott
#9925 by bc3tech
Tue May 19, 2009 6:38 am
scottlindner wrote:I am an Ooma newbie so I can't say I know too much just yet. Do you have your Ooma configured so that calls come in through a landline but go out through Ooma? If so, it's possible you picked up before Ooma did.

My other thought is that it takes two rings for the Caller ID information to come through, but I suspect Ooma is designed to not ring the phone until it has the Caller ID information, so I'm not sure if this two ring thing could be related or not.

Cheers,
Scott

i have no landline whatsoever so i don't think it's your first suggestion. I noticed the ooma light flash a second before the phone rang, so i suspect it had whatever caller ID information it could give. and plus I let it ring for a bit expecting the ooma to pick up and screen it for me (or something)

i picked up the phone and waited, expecting ooma to talk to me, then said "hello" and to my surprise it was the person on the other end.
#9942 by jmassimilla
Tue May 19, 2009 10:59 am
I've had the exact same thing not only on my ooma line, but also on my Verizon landline. The landline has anonymous caller rejection activated and these calls have been getting through on there as well. My landline is not associated with ooma. Every one of these calls are political calls. I tried dialing both my ooma line and landline from my cell using *67 to block the caller id and both lines block the call. The political calls come in as "unknown caller" and the number area is shaded out. Some kind of spoofing, I guess. These guys are coming up with all kinds of ways to get around blocking. Frustrating!
#9943 by bc3tech
Tue May 19, 2009 11:16 am
jmassimilla wrote:I've had the exact same thing not only on my ooma line, but also on my Verizon landline. The landline has anonymous caller rejection activated and these calls have been getting through on there as well. My landline is not associated with ooma. Every one of these calls are political calls. I tried dialing both my ooma line and landline from my cell using *67 to block the caller id and both lines block the call. The political calls come in as "unknown caller" and the number area is shaded out. Some kind of spoofing, I guess. These guys are coming up with all kinds of ways to get around blocking. Frustrating!
the weird thing was this was my financial advisor calling from his office. so it wasn't that the call was necessarily in fact unwelcome, but i was 1) surprised it came up Unavailable after i spoke w/ him and 2) surprised it got through!