Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#111586 by terryesh
Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:56 pm
We have four HD2 handsets with mixed operating results. Lately, the handsets, all four, display NO VPN. The handsets are inoperable; wired phones meanwhile are functioning. I try power resetting the Ooma Telo, but this fails to correct the problem. Then for some mysterious reason the NO VPN vanishes and all is functioning as expected. Is there an explanation for the notification "NO VPN?" Since power resetting the Telo doesn't resolve situation, what course of corrective action should I take?

Thank you,

Terry
#111597 by thunderbird
Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:59 pm
terryesh wrote:We have four HD2 handsets with mixed operating results. Lately, the handsets, all four, display NO VPN. The handsets are inoperable; wired phones meanwhile are functioning. I try power resetting the Ooma Telo, but this fails to correct the problem. Then for some mysterious reason the NO VPN vanishes and all is functioning as expected. Is there an explanation for the notification "NO VPN?" Since power resetting the Telo doesn't resolve situation, what course of corrective action should I take?

Thank you,

Terry

I will see the "No VPN" usually only on one of My HD2 handsets at a time. In the past I have cleared the "No VPN" message by rebooting the HD2 handset, by pressing and holding the Off (Red Phone) button until the HD2 handset screen goes blank. Then release the button.

But if that didn't help, I removed power from the Ooma Telo for three to five minutes before restoring power to the Ooma Telo. One of these two actions has helped me.

If you have the HD2 handsets that don't have the rubber dust cover boot over the headset jack hole, you have the older generation of HD2 handsets. If the HD2 handsets are still is within the one year warranty period, I would try to exchange them with Ooma for the later generation HD2 handsets. The later generation of HD2 handsets still have problems, but seem to work much better overall.

Also there is an advanced DECT Radio version of the Ooma Telo:

The Advanced DECT Radio Ooma Telo came out about the same time the HD2 handset was released about mid 2012.

Any Ooma Telo with a MAC address of :0E:xx:xx (last six number and letters of address) and over will have the newer chip.

The Advanced DECT Ooma Telo doesn't support the HD1 handsets (so *#*#301 is not supported and *#*#302 is ignored as these Telo are always in HD2 mode).

The Advanced DECT Radio Ooma Telo still has problems, but works much better with the HD2 handsets.
#111635 by terryesh
Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:45 pm
As it turns out, I have the latest version HD2 and telo. So now that you explain how to reset the handsets, I will try that the next time the problem is encountered.

What does "VPN" actually mean?

Thank you,

Terry
#111636 by murphy
Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:02 am
Virtual Private Network.
It's the encrypted tunnel that is set up between the Telo and the Ooma server.