Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#111474 by hehateme
Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:44 pm
Hi:

I am a new customer. I live in area code 763. Today I was making some local calls in the same area code and many phone numbers did not work. What can we do to fix this issue. I used my cell phone and I was able to call the same numbers.
I had read that I may have trouble calling numbers but I was not expecting my local number to not work.


Thanks
#111479 by parity_bit
Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:46 am
hehateme wrote:Hi:

I am a new customer. I live in area code 763. Today I was making some local calls in the same area code and many phone numbers did not work. What can we do to fix this issue. I used my cell phone and I was able to call the same numbers.
I had read that I may have trouble calling numbers but I was not expecting my local number to not work.


Thanks


wow, I wish I could offer some useful solution. I could see how that would be frustrating and unnerving. I have family in your area and if I had recommended Ooma to them and they were unable to make local calls, I'd be more than a little upset.

It was always my understanding that a certain part of Ooma's call routing had to be done for the last leg, through traditional POTS infrastructure. Granted most major cities probably already have the latest upgrades to their "wires" and shove the data through fiber optic but undoubtedly more than a few have yet to reach every area with the latest methods. I just took it for granted Ooma had partnerships with the phone companies providing coverage to such areas unbenefited by door to door fiber optic.

I realize you've probably already tried, and it's more than possible they won't even be able to help... but have you tried/if you have what did they say? Customer Service?
#111480 by murphy
Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:53 am
Are you using 7 or 10 digit dialing?
#111496 by penman
Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:06 am
Count me in to having the same problem. I reside in Canada (Eh) in the 705 area code. I can call my neighbo(u)r at the 422 exchange ok but when I try to call the same exchange (422) a few hundred numbers out, I get a recording saying that the number is a long distance call. I too made the call ok with my cell phone.
:?: :?: :?:
PM
#111497 by parity_bit
Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:04 pm
penman wrote:Count me in to having the same problem. I reside in Canada (Eh) in the 705 area code. I can call my neighbo(u)r at the 422 exchange ok but when I try to call the same exchange (422) a few hundred numbers out, I get a recording saying that the number is a long distance call. I too made the call ok with my cell phone.
:?: :?: :?:
PM


Oh my! It's now reached the level of a multi-national ordeal!
I never used to remember what the country above the U.S. was called, or that there was one, but now seeing your post and hearing your troubles, it dawns on me that there's more than ice up there. ;)

The odd thing about what you say is that isn't Ooma supposed to have unlimited local and long distance for those in the U.S.A. and Canuckdika?

So it's all the more troubling that this infuriating computer voice rudely tells you that it's a long distance number.
http://www.ooma.com/forums//viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16074 was intended by me, as hopefully, a list of area codes/trouble spots that Ooma as well as users can use to make some headway on the issue if no other place exists.

Add your trouble spot to the list?

and welcome, looks like you're at post 1, eh! :)
#111499 by hehateme
Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:21 pm
I was trying 10 digit numbers even in my own area code.
I used 7 digit number and the same number which was not working is now working.
I will do some more testing to determine if the issue was related to 10 digit dialing.
#111501 by murphy
Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:46 pm
Do you have 10 digit dialing enabled in your my.ooma account?
That is required to use 10 digit dialing.
#111510 by penman
Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:34 am
parity_bit wrote:
penman wrote:Count me in to having the same problem. I reside in Canada (Eh) in the 705 area code. I can call my neighbo(u)r at the 422 exchange ok but when I try to call the same exchange (422) a few hundred numbers out, I get a recording saying that the number is a long distance call. I too made the call ok with my cell phone.
:?: :?: :?:
PM


Oh my! It's now reached the level of a multi-national ordeal!
I never used to remember what the country above the U.S. was called, or that there was one, but now seeing your post and hearing your troubles, it dawns on me that there's more than ice up there. ;)

The odd thing about what you say is that isn't Ooma supposed to have unlimited local and long distance for those in the U.S.A. and Canuckdika?

So it's all the more troubling that this infuriating computer voice rudely tells you that it's a long distance number.
http://www.ooma.com/forums//viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16074 was intended by me, as hopefully, a list of area codes/trouble spots that Ooma as well as users can use to make some headway on the issue if no other place exists.

Add your trouble spot to the list?

and welcome, looks like you're at post 1, eh! :)


I added 705. By the way, are you an even or an ODD parity_bit :?:
PM
#111535 by parity_bit
Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:43 pm
penman wrote:
parity_bit wrote:
penman wrote:Count me in to having the same problem. I reside in Canada (Eh) in the 705 area code. I can call my neighbo(u)r at the 422 exchange ok but when I try to call the same exchange (422) a few hundred numbers out, I get a recording saying that the number is a long distance call. I too made the call ok with my cell phone.
:?: :?: :?:
PM


Oh my! It's now reached the level of a multi-national ordeal!
I never used to remember what the country above the U.S. was called, or that there was one, but now seeing your post and hearing your troubles, it dawns on me that there's more than ice up there. ;)

The odd thing about what you say is that isn't Ooma supposed to have unlimited local and long distance for those in the U.S.A. and Canuckdika?

So it's all the more troubling that this infuriating computer voice rudely tells you that it's a long distance number.
http://www.ooma.com/forums//viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16074 was intended by me, as hopefully, a list of area codes/trouble spots that Ooma as well as users can use to make some headway on the issue if no other place exists.

Add your trouble spot to the list?

and welcome, looks like you're at post 1, eh! :)


I added 705. By the way, are you an even or an ODD parity_bit :?:
PM


lol that's an insightful question.
Since I am a special CRC I will go with even.

Thanks for adding your area code, maybe that thread will prove to be of some use.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests