Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#111190 by dman76
Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:41 pm
In the account preferences section if you go under phone numbers and click Telo, what is the difference between the three modes (phone, fax machine, and alarm system)? I haven't tried alarm system but if it is on fax, it seems to work for voice as well and you get a normal dial tone instead of the Ooma one. If they all work for voice, just wondering if there is any disadvantage to not use the phone mode.
#111489 by parity_bit
Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:34 am
dman76 wrote:In the account preferences section if you go under phone numbers and click Telo, what is the difference between the three modes (phone, fax machine, and alarm system)? I haven't tried alarm system but if it is on fax, it seems to work for voice as well and you get a normal dial tone instead of the Ooma one. If they all work for voice, just wondering if there is any disadvantage to not use the phone mode.

Good question. I can't offer any experiential data having never tried it myself, and I have no insider info either... but
if I were to guess based on some logic, I would venture that it might have something to do with the codecs and algorythms employed on a per call basis? Also, I would imagine it would help the customer service department with call metrics.

http://www.ooma.com/app/support/star-codes-your-ooma-device
Perhaps some variation of " Use low-bandwidth codec (iLBC) for this phone call" vs. use High?
Certainly "Optimize phone call for fax transmissions"

If that's anything in the way of an unofficial answer for you :)