Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#9579 by deVries
Wed May 13, 2009 9:20 am
Ooma was working until our scheduled port to my permanent phone number today. Blue light, ooma DT, dial number, then long silence followed by rapid beeping tones... sounds like the all circuits busy beeping... but there is no such message... just rapid beeping... local or long distance. Ooma worked before this port date today. This is not safe losing phone service w/o cell phone or old service not working with Time Warner. The switch should be working within seconds or minutes... we've been w/o phone service for more than two hours!

Any ideas? Thanks.
#9581 by buzzman
Wed May 13, 2009 9:34 am
I didn't realize that the Ooma line can be out of commission during the porting date.

However, please BE AWARE that VOIP (Ooma, Vonage, etc.) can be down at anytime and if you're not comfortable with it, then VOIP won't work for you. With Ooma, you can always complement your Ooma system with a basic landline.

deVries wrote:Ooma was working until our scheduled port to my permanent phone number today. Blue light, ooma DT, dial number, then long silence followed by rapid beeping tones... sounds like the all circuits busy beeping... but there is no such message... just rapid beeping... local or long distance. Ooma worked before this port date today. This is not safe losing phone service w/o cell phone or old service not working with Time Warner. The switch should be working within seconds or minutes... we've been w/o phone service for more than two hours!

Any ideas? Thanks.
#9583 by bw1
Wed May 13, 2009 9:43 am
Or get a cell phone for backup. I went out and got a cheap prepaid cell phone to use as backup and when traveling. I never got a cell phone because I didn't want to commit to a 2 year contract at $60 - $70 / month, but with prepaid you don't have to. You can have a cell phone for as little as $2.50 a month. See here: http://www.cellguru.net/prepaid_compare.htm
#9585 by jmassimilla
Wed May 13, 2009 10:12 am
Depending on who the other carrier is and other circumstances, the port could take until the end of the day, as has been reported by many others. They should email you when the port is completed. My own port to ooma was smooth, never noticed any lapse in service. A few years ago, when I ported from Verizon to Voicewing (their own rebranded voip service, no less), it took 3 days before everything was working properly!
#9602 by deVries
Wed May 13, 2009 12:20 pm
Thanks to the person that posted some cheaper cell phone services... I found one to sign-up with. ;-)

Also, I can now make long-distance calls outside my local area code, but no local calls inside.

800 numbers don't work either. Does anyone know Ooma's local customer support number that uses their actual area code? ...not an 800/888 number.

TIA.

UPDATE: IT TOOK 6 HOURS TO PORT EVERYTHING OVER. I GOT EMAIL NOTIFICATION THAT THE PORT IS COMPLETE... AND EVERYTHING IS WORKING WITH MAKING LOCAL CALLS. I WISH OOMA WOULD NOTIFY CUSTOMERS AT THE BEGINNING THAT THE PROCESS CAN TAKE "X" NUMBER OF HOURS TO COMPLETE ON THE DAY IT HAPPENS.
#9618 by southsound
Wed May 13, 2009 2:29 pm
It sounds like you may need to call ooma at 650 566 6600 and tell them what is going on. That is their corporate number and I think they can switch you over to tech support from there.

If your ooma was originally set up to work with a landline, then all of your local and toll free numbers would be handled with the landline and only long distance would go out over ooma. If the landline went away, then those two classes of numbers would fail. It may be that ooma needs to set a bit of information in your hub that makes it behave as it should. Give them a call and see what they think - and if you would, let us know what you found.
#9631 by deVries
Wed May 13, 2009 6:56 pm
Thank you for the direct number to Ooma. Fortunately, everything is working. An Ooma employee was kind enough to phone me directly to help too, but everything was/is working now.

Here is the update I added to my previous post that explained what happened...

UPDATE: IT TOOK 6 HOURS TO PORT EVERYTHING OVER. I GOT EMAIL NOTIFICATION THAT THE PORT IS COMPLETE... AND EVERYTHING IS WORKING WITH MAKING LOCAL CALLS.

I DO WISH OOMA WOULD NOTIFY CUSTOMERS AT THE BEGINNING THAT THE PROCESS CAN TAKE "X" NUMBER OF HOURS TO COMPLETE ON THE DAY THE PORT HAPPENS.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions. This forum was very responsive to my issues. :-)