Ooma mobile dropping calls

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
jbaugh
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:47 pm

Ooma mobile dropping calls

Post by jbaugh » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:15 pm

I purchased the Ooma Mobile app for my iPhone.
The app works well with G3 cellular but I have dropped calls when using with WiFi.
If I call the Ooma test number at 9002651001 while on WiFi there is an 80% likelihood that the call will suddenly be dropped at exactly 32 seconds into the call. Strangely, about 20% of the calls go through and I can hear the message all the way through multiple times and there is no interruption of the call.

So, about 8 out of 10 times the call gets dropped exactly at the same point in the call (32 seconds). But 2 out of 10 times there is no problem at all. Can anyone explain this strange behavior and suggest a fix?
Thanks.
John

User avatar
lbmofo
Posts: 9337
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:37 pm
Location: Greater Seattle
Contact:

Re: Ooma mobile dropping calls

Post by lbmofo » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:21 pm

I'd start off with checking for updated firmware with your router. Upgrade and see. When I got my router, off the shelf, the app wouldn't even work because of some strange default firewall settings of the router until firmware upgraded.
Customer Since: 3/13/10
Hardware: Telo & Hub
Service: Premier 12/06/10
Verizon Port: 3/15/10 - 4/02/10
Internet: 100 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: SB6141/R6700/Ooma
MainStreetSHARES Ebates: get Ca$h Back when you shop online!!

Image

jbaugh
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: Ooma mobile dropping calls

Post by jbaugh » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:52 pm

I'm using Tomato firmware on my Asus router. I have a recent (?most recent?) firmware. I've tested the app on another network at another site with the same results. But that network also has the same Asus router and Tomato firmware set up. I suppose it could be the router, but I'm a bit skeptical. It would be nice if a simple setting change in the router would fix this issue but I have no idea what that might be.

I will try to test the app on some other networks. I really would like this to work. The voice quality when using the mobile app is far superior to the voice quality of the AT&T cellular signal.

It just seems very odd that when the call is interrupted it is always at precisely 32 seconds into the call. At least that is the case when I call the Ooma test numbers. I'll have to see if that holds true for dropped calls to my friends.
John

User avatar
lbmofo
Posts: 9337
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:37 pm
Location: Greater Seattle
Contact:

Re: Ooma mobile dropping calls

Post by lbmofo » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:54 pm

Can you find another friend/family with different router and try their wifi?

Based on my experience, router plays a big part. I've gone through 2 TrendNet routers that didn't work with app (no matter what I did with setup on firewall etc). My D-Link didn't work out of the box either; had to upgrade firmware. /viewtopic.php?t=13554#p94389
Customer Since: 3/13/10
Hardware: Telo & Hub
Service: Premier 12/06/10
Verizon Port: 3/15/10 - 4/02/10
Internet: 100 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: SB6141/R6700/Ooma
MainStreetSHARES Ebates: get Ca$h Back when you shop online!!

Image

macmedia
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:40 am

Re: Ooma mobile dropping calls

Post by macmedia » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:57 am

It's not just you. Scores of other people are also experiencing that approx 32 second cutoff. With the last update in July of 2012, I wouldn't patiently wait for this to work.

jbaugh
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: Ooma mobile dropping calls

Post by jbaugh » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:35 pm

I have now tested Ooma mobile wifi calling on a total of 4 different wifi networks. The results is the same each case. The call is suddenly dropped at almost exactly 32 seconds. So this is not a network specific problem. It is an Ooma Mobile app problem or some incompatibility with Ooma Mobile app and the iPhone and iPad. I've tested both of my iPhones and my iPad and they all display the same problem.
How do I bring this to the attention of someone at Ooma who is empowered to investigate and fix this problem?
John

holmes4
Posts: 534
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:18 pm
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Ooma mobile dropping calls

Post by holmes4 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:47 pm

Interesting. I am a new Ooma customer and had set up Ooma Mobile but had not used it yet. I just tried a test call and stayed on the line more than a minute - no disconnect. I wonder what is triggering the 32-second issue for many.
Steve

User avatar
lbmofo
Posts: 9337
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:37 pm
Location: Greater Seattle
Contact:

Re: Ooma mobile dropping calls

Post by lbmofo » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:45 pm

jbaugh wrote:I have now tested Ooma mobile wifi calling on a total of 4 different wifi networks. The results is the same each case. The call is suddenly dropped at almost exactly 32 seconds. So this is not a network specific problem. It is an Ooma Mobile app problem or some incompatibility with Ooma Mobile app and the iPhone and iPad. I've tested both of my iPhones and my iPad and they all display the same problem.
How do I bring this to the attention of someone at Ooma who is empowered to investigate and fix this problem?
John
I've successfully recreated the problem. The problem is intermittent but does happen a lot both on 4G (HSPA+) and wifi with my iPhone 4s. At around 32s mark, the call continues but no audio.

Ooma Mobile HD Version 3.0.6 build 1 ACVE 3.10.2.0
iPhone 4s iOS 6.1.3 (10B329)
Customer Since: 3/13/10
Hardware: Telo & Hub
Service: Premier 12/06/10
Verizon Port: 3/15/10 - 4/02/10
Internet: 100 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: SB6141/R6700/Ooma
MainStreetSHARES Ebates: get Ca$h Back when you shop online!!

Image

jbaugh
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: Ooma mobile dropping calls

Post by jbaugh » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:34 pm

lbmofo wrote:At around 32s mark, the call continues but no audio.
Your description is actually more correct than mine. Indeed, the call does continue. There is just no audio. One one occasion I failed to end the call once the audio stopped. An hour later I noticed that my iPhone was very warm and my battery was almost discharged from maintaining the call connection. It is interesting that the app seems to work for some, such as holmes4. I wonder what percentage of users have this problem and what we have in common that could explain this issue? As I mentioned before, this is also an intermittent problem for me. Unfortunately only about 10-20% of my calls continue with audio after the ~32 seconds.
John

jbaugh
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: Ooma mobile dropping calls

Post by jbaugh » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:18 pm

Here is the official reply I got from Ooma support on this issue:

"Dear JOHN,
Good day! Thank you for contacting Ooma Customer Care!
We apologize for the inconvenience. iPhone 4S running the newest iOS version is not currently supported, but it is on our radar for future development.
Your $9.99 will be refunded within the next 24-48 hours.
If you have further questions.....blah blah blah....
Thank you for choosing Ooma!
Sincerely,
Ray
Ooma Customer Care Specialist"

So if the iPhone 4S with the newest iOS is not supported then why doesn't Ooma prominently display this information on the app store and on their promotions of the app?

Post Reply