Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#107541 by ronanronan
Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:50 pm
When I try to retrieve vmail from my cordless phone (connected to the Telo box) by dialing my Ooma number, it connects fine to the vmail system but does not recognize any subsequent key strokes in response to the voice prompts.

If I use the same handset, connected to a landline, and call into my Ooma vmailbox, everything works fine.

There are no settings on my cordless phone to adjust the length its DTMF tones.

I read another topic that suggested the Telo may not be able to recognize DTMF tones from all handsets. If the Telo box is in the basement and you do not have a smartphone or computer handy, this is the only method to retrieve voicemail at home. I would have thought this was a basic capability.

Can Ooma please advise?
#107555 by ronanronan
Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:01 am
When I call from my Ooma phone using the same handset to my office voicemail system key hits are recognized and all interactions with that system work fine.

I should have mentioned that I had the device mode set to "alarm". I had done this primarily to get normal dial tone (instead of the special Telo dialtone). I notice when I set the device mode to "Telo", my voicemail retrieval using the handset works fine.

So now that I seem to have found a way to make it work, is there any way of getting rid of special Telo dialtone without setting the device mode to Alarm or Fax, both of which appear to do more than just change the dialtone??
#115141 by RevJimb
Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:50 pm
Unless I use Alarm mode, my ADT alarm does not work with OOMA.

If I use Alarm mode, my DTMF button presses do not work with voicemail.

I tried Fax mode, but it did not work with the alarm system.

Is there any way for the DTMF tones to work in alarm mode?
#115282 by Tom
Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:46 pm
We cannot support both modes on the voicemail server because this can lead to double detections. It all depends on how well various carriers clamp inband DTMF. Additionally, and we need to document this, but alarm mode is intended for devices that solely interface with an alarm panel, and so not intended for mixed use. It's therefore recommended to set up alarm mode on the phone port of a dedicated Linx device.