Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#9282 by JAStillwell
Thu May 07, 2009 2:03 pm
Hello,

We have been using Ooma for a couple weeks and so far have been very impressed (expect for that big outage, but hey, nobody's perfect)!

Anyway, we have a problem where we are getting incorrect caller ID information displayed on incoming calls from one of our clients. When someone calls out from their phone system to our Ooma number, the correct phone number for their company shows up, but the wrong name. When they call someone who has Comcast phone, it does the same thing. If they call someone with a Qwest landline (or Cbeyond, another VoIP provider) the information is correct.

So, Ooma and Comcast seem to be using the same caller ID database that has the incorrect name information. Does anyone know what database that is and how we can get it updated so that when they call us, we see the correct name?

Thanks!

Jeff
#9301 by Dennis P
Thu May 07, 2009 10:11 pm
Hmm, that's going to be tricky. We use one main provider of caller name information, but they aggregate from many sources. How long has your client had that phone number? And who is their phone provider? Only the provider who actually owns that number will be able to push changes. The best we can do it provide you an option to override the caller-name info we get when we look it up. This will be part of the address book function which we are working on now.
#9316 by JAStillwell
Fri May 08, 2009 5:32 am
Thanks for the reply. I don't think this is a specific Ooma problem. I think the provider(s) Ooma (and Comcast) are using have the incorrect information in their caller ID database. Can you tell me what source or sources you use to get caller ID information? As I mention, our client's phone provider (Cbeyond) has pushed the correct information again. They subscribe to Verisign's caller ID database and phone providers that use Verisign are OK. It's the other 'unknown' caller ID database provider(s) that have the incorrect information.

Thanks!
#9323 by bryanlyle
Fri May 08, 2009 6:28 am
I "think" Ooma uses Targus for the Caller ID information.

I'm still struggling to get my CID information correct for my two Ooma numbers.

So far, I am shown as OUT OF AREA when I call my next door neighbor. Frustrating.
#9328 by bryanlyle
Fri May 08, 2009 7:09 am
I have also noticed that when folks call me, one time it will just have their number and the city then they'll call five minutes later and it will have their name and number listed correctly.
#9523 by Dennis P
Tue May 12, 2009 12:27 pm
Thanks Bryan. Here is what we've found. In some cases, when the call comes to us, the caller-name is already attached. In this case the caller-ID is the actual name. In some cases we do not get the call with the caller-name attached and we have to look it up via TargusInfo. It appears that they don't have the information for that user, so they just return the city and state to us. I know the inconsistency is annoying. We are working on a contact list feature that will allow you to normalize this and return the name of the user in your address book. This would help to alleviate this problem in the future.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 18 guests