Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#106660 by maguro
Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:43 am
I keep getting 2 second voice mail messages from a caller that is only identified as asterisk. These messages have no associated entries in the call logs.

I tried asking the chat support with no success, so I went to the web. It seems that these are spam messages originating from China on port 5060. Not surprisingly they come from numerous IP addresses.

Are other Ooma users getting these messages, or am I the lucky one for some reason?
Is Ooma support aware of this issue? If so what's being done?
#140192 by osterizer
Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:49 pm
I hate to bump an old topic, but after going away for several years, these calls have returned. The phone rings, and the caller ID lists the number (!) as "asterisk" and the name as "UNKNOWN". Unlike the behavior maguro describes, these calls do show up in our call log.

We have the community blacklist enabled. We can't add them to our personal blacklist because My Ooma says "asterisk" is not a valid number (and it's not!).

We would like to be able to block these calls.
#142156 by Keith Lofstrom
Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:46 pm
"asterisk" is open source (free) software for custom-designing office telephone networks (PBX or Private Branch Exchange); I used it years ago for my wife's office. See http://www.asterisk.org for more.
Asterisk software can also be abused to set up robo-call systems for political campaigns and other criminal activity, or connect foreign call centers to the US telephone network through the internet, using older technologies vaguely similar to Ooma.
The original poster was probably victimized by an incompletely-configured asterisk robo-call system.