Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#104938 by hugmurphy
Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:39 pm
Most people would be happy-with a telo and a linx we have two independent lines, so my wife can make a new call on the Linx while I'm using the Telo for another call. However, when we call the grandkids, we both want to share that same call-but can't! Anyway to do this? According to ooma we cannot use any of the phone jacks in the house because CenturyLink,the local phone co, jacks into that to provide our DSL internet service. I suppose I could just jack another phone into the telo unit, but that means runnng a messy phone wire through the house to the kitchen where my wife usually is. Is there a way to temporarily make the telo and Linx NOT be independent?
#104947 by murphy
Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:13 am
Ooma is wrong.
If your house is "home run" wired (each jack goes directly to a common point) the DSL line can be connected only to the jack that feeds the DSL modem. All other jacks can be isolated from the DSL line. This is preferred because it gets all of the extra wires disconnected from the DSL line which will improve its signal handling characteristics.

If your home is daisy chain wired and was built in the last 60 years there are two lines available at each jack. Use an

L1, L2, L1+L2 splitter to make both lines available at each jack.

Use L2 for the DSL signal and use L1 for the Telo signal.

In the first case you can have the Telo line and the Linx line available at each jack.
A two line phone in the kitchen would allow her to pick which line she wanted at the push of a button.

In the second case either the Telo line or the Linx line can be available at each jack.

I rewired my house and have 4 lines available at each wall plate.
#104950 by thunderbird
Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:20 am
hugmurphy wrote:Most people would be happy-with a telo and a linx we have two independent lines, so my wife can make a new call on the Linx while I'm using the Telo for another call. However, when we call the grandkids, we both want to share that same call-but can't! Anyway to do this? According to ooma we cannot use any of the phone jacks in the house because CenturyLink,the local phone co, jacks into that to provide our DSL internet service. I suppose I could just jack another phone into the telo unit, but that means runnng a messy phone wire through the house to the kitchen where my wife usually is. Is there a way to temporarily make the telo and Linx NOT be independent?

If you are using a phone that is connected to the Linx, and a phone connected to the Phone port of Ooma Telo, then when you want to join an existing call, all you have to do is just press the phone flash button, or press the Talk button a second time, to join the existing call.

If you need a phone in the kitchen, it may be just easier to purchase an Ooma wireless HD2 handset and set it up in the kitchen.
#104967 by hugmurphy
Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:44 am
Thank you , Murphy and Thunderbird. Murphy, you sound like a extraordinary phone wizard with all the myriad connections you've made! But Thunderbird's suggestion was far easier to implement-all I had to do was hit FLASH! I feel stupid, not trying that earlier. Again, thank you both. I have to admit that these ooma phones are truly great-two separate, nearly free lines when I want, and yet the lines can be joined whenever i need. hugmurphy