Can't call my OOMA number from same calling zone

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
kwchang

Can't call my OOMA number from same calling zone

Post by kwchang » Sat May 02, 2009 11:21 pm

Have anyone had problem calling their OOMA number from same local calling zone? I get 3-tone then the message of saying the number you are trying to dial has been disconnected.

Call is made from my brother's AT&T land line one mile away. OOMA number is chosen based on local area-prefix provided during initial setup.

Calling OOMA from my cell (or from my brother's cell) with the same area code has no issue.

jdsage

Re: Can't call my OOMA number from same calling zone

Post by jdsage » Sun May 03, 2009 7:26 pm

We're having a similar issue; my sister-in-law a half-mile away calls us, and the red light on the hub blinks, but the phone does not ring. When I see the light blinking, I pick up the phone, but all I get is the ooma dialtone. Later, she tells us she tried to call but nobody answered.

I checked, and I do not have any kind of blocking enabled.

???

niknak

Post by niknak » Sun May 03, 2009 7:31 pm

Are you receiving calls from long distance (interlata) and regional (intralata) calling areas?

kwchang

Post by kwchang » Sun May 03, 2009 8:10 pm

Did a little research this morning and noticed even though with the same 510 area code, the prefix in the same local calling zone belongs to two different carrier companies - one is from the old Pacific Bell (now AT&T) and the other is owned by Comcast. Ooma probably needs to work with these companies to make sure calls can go through their central offices (CO) properly.

niknak

Post by niknak » Sun May 03, 2009 8:17 pm

You should call tech support so that they can investigate! Good luck to resolve this issue

jdsage

Post by jdsage » Mon May 04, 2009 4:56 pm

Ah... I had assumed this forum included some level of ooma tech support oversight. Thanks for the tip.

kwchang

Post by kwchang » Mon May 04, 2009 5:34 pm

I sent them an email this morning on my issue. Will follow up with a call if Ooma did not respond within two days. Other than this issue, it's been working great (call quality, etc.) for me and I even was able to send/receive fax without problem (has to disable compression by dialing *99 first for outgoing fax).

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Mon May 04, 2009 6:22 pm

I recommend calling Customer Support. Email is not as fast as a simple call and ooma support seems to be pretty fast lately.

Wayne